Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Post Rating Buttons - A discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dislikes I got in the past 24 hours for asking an simple question are another example. What exactly is wrong with asking someone who recommends a solution that applies to an exceptional circumstances when the question was generic?
Just for the record, I have never given out a dislike to you or anyone.

JimB It was to 'dislike ' a question I found silly ,,, not the others... Agree etc... If you dislike a question , wouldn't you just ignore it ?
That is what I meant as well. I do use the like feature as a way of showing my appreciation to people who take time out of their day to assist me or someone else.

Ironically this thread is about a lounge topic not a technical subject, but seeing as it was brought up I will deviate off topic. I never use hardware debouncing, one thing that would concern me is the cap changing its characteristic with age, this could? then cause the circuit to fail after a given period of time as the cap takes longer (or less) time to charge.

Also as Mr T said it isnt always needed to expressly code a debounce, as i pointed out Pommie has some code floating around that as a side effect does de bounce as well as its intended purpose.

As for the likes/dislikes I think they offer something akin to emoticons, they are not needed but they do offer a chance to express an opinion without the need to post something, this would then result in less "fluff" which seems to be a recurring topic. I cant see any solution as the underlying problem was tackled with the new rules, all this discussion was done a long time ago and the decision made. The problem is a few are still hell bent on turning a HOBBY forum into a high brow technical one, this was sorted out guys and the decision made to keep it as a hobby forum. Look at it this way.........I came here as it was a hobby forum, why should I or the forum change what its fundamental purpose is just to please a few? Those that dont like the hobby feel should try and remember this was and is the forums purpose, you came here knowing this so please dont try and change something just to suit yourself.

It matters not to me if the likes stay or go, but I do think if you ditch them you will end up with a huge number of two to three word posts just saying thanks, then you will moan about that. I also wonder if this would have cropped up had you not of actually received a dislike John, you seem to take this far more seriously than its worth.

Things are picking up here and ultimately its a business that requires traffic, I am sure the forums are for monitored than it appears by admin. So far I am surprised they are as good as they are at keeping on top but discretely out the way, it seems to have the best of all worlds with a good Mod team who are supported and who are given a clear direction, this coupled with strong management that keeps out of the day to day stuff, I could be wrong but that is how it appears from my chair.

The moderators seem more relaxed and by that I dont mean easier, I mean they seem better supported and more 'confident' in what the roles and direction are. Alot of damage was done here and it will take time to recover, also forums in general have taken a decline in use overall, but it has started to turn around and it would be a shame to kill that just to please a few.

Last edited:
It matters not to me if the likes stay or go
LG Have to agree , As I mentioned , 'Like' essentially means nothing ... it aint broke , just redundant ( like old FE's) In my opinion, agree , thanks and the others do and saves ' fluff '

Its difficult because on the one hand you want new members and a portion of those are likely to be facebook fans etc, the forum would seem dated to some without the buttons etc. On the other hand to the more serious hobbyist etc they are pointless, on balance I have to say for me you nailed it with 'if it aint broke.......'.

As for the rest of this thread I see some assumptions being made about why I might do this or that, they are wrong assumptions but pointless going there at the moment :D. On balance this is a great forum and its been a while since I could say that and mean it.

Even gave you a agree :D, actually its only very recently I have started bothering with the buttons, i am sure I will get bored with them again :p

My perception is my perception. There is no right or wrong associated with perception. If someone is perceived as being a bull in a China shop, they can elect to soften their approach and stop being a bull or I need to be educated and convinced that what appears to be a bull in a China shop is actually not a bull, or, that the bull will not act like a bull while he is in the China shop.
Reminds me of a joke.
Cute little coed walks up to the football star and says "Are you the bull of the campus"?
He replies, "That's me baby".
To which she says "moo."

Just for the record, I have never given out a dislike to you or anyone.
And one more thing concerning my post to Jpan. It was a knee jerk reaction, and after I posted it, I had wished I had not. I let my personal feelings influence my actions, something I should know better. So sorry about my post to you Jpan...

Something to keep in mind is to reply how you would if you were a group conversing in person, the tendency to be abrasive or any other kind of smart remark often occurs because of the arms length contact, which most likely would not occur otherwise, or at least be tempered with tact.;)
Max.

... If you mean the outburst by LG, I think that is him just being a gobby little kid who needs to grow up a lot more. ...

This is just the sort of comment that I find utterly inappropriate in an open forum. Under any circumstance. It is demeaning, snide, elitist and smacks of a serious inability to curb one's tongue.

Are you suggesting that ETO's owners impose an age limit or some sort of maturity test as a requirement for membership? If so, membership would surely wither.

Frankly, and as a great-grandfather, I find the younger members refreshingly innovative and delightfully impertinent. They keep me on my toes.

Would it not be better to display the "grown-up" wisdom and tolerance to which you refer?

This is just the sort of comment that I find utterly inappropriate in an open forum. Under any circumstance. It is demeaning, snide, elitist and smacks of a serious inability to curb one's tongue.
My words were carefully chosen, as are the few words which I am using now.
JimB

Something to keep in mind is to reply how you would if you were a group conversing in person, the tendency to be abrasive or any other kind of smart remark often occurs because of the arms length contact, which most likely would not occur otherwise, or at least be tempered with tact.;)
Max.
If your referring to me and I think you are, I am old enough to know better, but sadly enough I do react that way in person as well which is one of my short comings, one of many. I let my personal feelings get the better of me. In general, I try to treat others in a way that I would want them to treat me, and that includes respect. I do still feel that my reaction was justified but should have been handled in a more appropriate manner, in private for example.

Guys, c'mon. I need the likes. It's how I measure my self worth. If you can't do it for you, then do it for me. Or else I'm going to start posting duck face selfies on every thread.
Let him keep them!! spare us the selfie :p

Guys, c'mon. I need the likes. It's how I measure my self worth. If you can't do it for you, then do it for me. Or else I'm going to start posting duck face selfies on every thread.

There ya go, strantor. All warm and fuzzy now...? :joyful:

(About as good as a 4.0 quarterly mark in the Nav, right?!)

The likes/dislikes and other accouterments are a marketers dream like a Net Promoter Score.

Next there will be a private email telling the members their NPS is too low and need to recommend ETO more.

Mikebits

I took Max's words, not directed to anyone, yet, something commonly seen in forums and other social media. Not everyone has a policy of speaking (writing) as if they were face to face. I try my best to write as if I were talking face to face, and the writing is unvarnished.

I use to tell my superiors that if they didn't like my opinion, they should not have asked for it. It's that simple. Unvarnished. I also told my charges if someone asked them for their opinion, give it to them. If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have asked for it.

If people act like dicks, I will tell them - whether virtual or non-virtual, group or one-on-one.

And, if I'm acting like a dick, I prefer being told about it rather than people talking about it.

Last edited:
Sincerely, I found rather hard to understand what actually triggered this thread. Myself, I cannot add any constructive to it.

Speaking strictly of technical discussions I understand that "informative", "thanks", "agree" and "disagree" suit the eventual required comments replacing a short (forum-cluttering) equivalent post.

Since not all OP imply a question, it is good to have a way to qualify them.

I keep trying to stick to that idea and avoid using the "like" which, if asked what actually does it mean, I should say "all", "anything" or "nothing". Better avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back