Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PortB Mod for Blueroom Firefly

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

Hi. You may remember me from such posts as Junebug PORTB header mod, or Junebug users - another fun little project.

I decided it would be good to do a similar PortB mod for the Firefly, which needs it even more than the Junebug did.
**broken link removed**
Unfortunately RB2 and RB5 are unuseable, as they're connected to the onboard RS232 level shifter. I'm looking for a way to cut the traces and add a couple jumpers to take the RS232 out of circuit when the B2 & 5 pins are needed. I'll post that here when/if I get it done.

The ground pin lines up with the ground leg of Button 3, so I soldered directly to it. The rest of the connector is squished into hot-melt glue for very good strength.

Some more pics:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
OK, here's the fix for RB2 and RB5. It's shown with the JP5 (RB5) jumper installed for RS232 transmit enable. The JP2 jumper would be installed for RS232 receive enable. Remove the jumpers to disable RS232 and enable the corresponding mod RB2/5 pins.
**broken link removed**

These two via's are the ones for RB2 and RB5. I soldered wires into them and connected them each to one side of the JP2/5 jumper pins.
**broken link removed**

Here are the two necessary trace cuts. Be careful!
(Yes, I know the board is a fluxy, nasty mess. I'll clean it someday. Meanwhile it works fine. :D )
**broken link removed**

And here's a view of the finished assembly. :D :D Now I can get on with connecting up my SPI display. Or maybe an LCD... Hmm...
**broken link removed**

Hehehe! :D Now I can finally connect things to the Firefly. First thing is my SPI LED display. Made a couple trivial changes to my 16F819 code and it runs perfect on 16F88.

Without the PortB mod this would be impossible.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back