Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pop Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graydon

Anyone,

I have built a small Headphone Amp for the purpose of amplifying musical instruments to Headphone Levels. The amp I’ve used is a very small Kit for a 0.5 Watt Amp, and works well. My problem is the big pop when I turn it on or off.

From my limited understanding of electronics, I was under the impression that a Cap of sufficient size would fix this, but the circuit already has a 100uF across the +ve and –ve terminals of the circuit board, and doesn’t seem to do anything.

What I would really like is, to be able to switch it on and have the Volume increase over a period of say 2 seconds until the full volume is reached. (I have a pot that controls this).

Is this possible, and how?

Thanks,
Graydon

Pop can be eliminated by delaying the power to power amplifier for few milli-seconds after the main power is swithed on. You said you already have 100uF but this is to small capacitor. Use a large on like 1000uF or 2200uF. I have a pop-eliminating circuit but I'll have to search for it in my old books.

Thanks, I tried a 1000uF and 2200 uF Cap, and it certainly seemed to fixed the power Off click by slowly dropping the power, but I still have a problem with the power On Click. Even with the big caps, I get an immediate loud click.

I've attached a pic of the circuit to make things clearer. I replaced the 100uF cap with the 1000uF / 2200uF. How do you use a Cap to slowly turn the power on?

Thanks,
Graydon

Attachments

• Circuit1.jpg
    Circuit1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Circuit2.jpg
    Circuit2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 392
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips