Polarised Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

If a schematic requires a polarised capacitor but I don't have any... can I use a non-polarised capacitor and a diode?

In that application you are probably fine with a non-polarized 10 uF. The ceramic caps of smaller size (very high K dielectric) have a capacitance degradation as the voltage gets higher % of their rated voltage so be aware of the spec. It can be as much as 50% drop from their rated capacitance.

Sometimes switching power supply output filters require some series resistance to ensure stability. Ceramics have relatively low series resistance compared to electrolytics.

No diode is necessary.

Last edited:
Why a diode ? A non-polarized capacitor is just like a polarized capacitor except it doesn't explode when connected in reverse. So yeah you can use it without any circuit difference. Note that unless it's a ceramic cap, a 10uF non polarized film cap is likely to be 3x the size of your entire board...

Repeat : do not put a diode.

Last edited:

OK, no diode. Thanks

But... why would it include one then? Why have they specified polarised if there is no point?

Also... are you saying this below is suitable? It is only 4mm wide...

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
The ad does not say that the cheap Chinese no-name-brand capacitors are non-polarized. So they are probably ordinary cheaper polarized ones.
Why on earth would you buy no-name-brand junk???

If you connect a diode then the capacitor will not work as a filter.

In the circuit you linked to both C2 (.1 uF) and C5 (10 uF) are used as decoupling capacitors. You may want to give this a read to understand their purpose. The merit to using a polarized electrolytic is that they lend themselves to getting more capacitance in a smaller package. That was mentioned already in the thread. Also as RCinFLA mentions, for your application you could use a non-polarized capacitor but good luck finding a 10 uF one as it will be big. The reason for C2 is to remove any power supply spikes and prevent false triggering in your circuit. The reason for C5 is primarily to maintain a constant voltage to your circuit.

Also, on a side note the drawing of the USB connector is incorrect as the Data + and Data - are in the center with V+ and V- (GND) on the outboard sides. Just don't go by things as shown for the connector.

Ron

Thanks!

Also, on a side note the drawing of the USB connector is incorrect as the Data + and Data - are in the center with V+ and V- (GND) on the outboard sides. Just don't go by things as shown for the connector.

Yeah I saw they did that. Cheeky...

Cheers to everyone for your posts. Will go away and read the material and try and get my head around it.

I have only bought one single pack of capacitors before from Maplin. I don't know any "names".

Any to recommend?
I think Maplin sells junk in England but I am in Canada so I buy good quality electronic parts from Digikey or Newark.
Newark was bought by Farnell who has an office in England and many other countries.

Because a 10uf Polarized cap is MUCH Cheaper and Smaller than a Non-Polarized one.

YES, re: **broken link removed**
But the Shipping cost will not justify the cost to buy it.

Try Marlin Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…