Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me with microcontroller project

Status
Not open for further replies.

amer alsarayrah

Hello , i m in the final year of my electrical engineering and is given a final year project to make a digital energy meter using microcontrollers and how the connection is...

What i want exactly to give me all he informations about my project...please

i think you should do some reserch urself and then ask questions based on anything you are stuck on.afterall it is your project

u r all right....i am sorry
i made some researchs but i dont know from where to start anyway.............just it...... i will ask u when i need u

Hi amer,

You should sit down and ask yourself what you would need to do in order to measure the power, and how to use a microcontroller to help you do this. As you probably know, a microcontroller can measure voltages using the built in AD converter. That's your start. You know you can measure power by measuring voltage and current and doing some math with the micro controller program code to calculate the power. Take if from there.

What did they teach you in the previous years about measurement systems?

Last edited:
thank u ...that what i realy want.....BASIC INFORMATION

Hi amer,

You're welcome :) I was asking about your background so i can learn what they taught you already so we could progress from there.

Hi again amer,

Well, to use a micro controller (better choice than a micro processor for this kind of project) you'll need to learn some basics about micro controllers. You'll need a programmer also so you can write code for the micro controller. There are a number of different kinds of micro controllers on the market like the PIC but there will be a little learning time required to understand how they work. If you were successful so far in your studies however you shouldnt find this aspect too difficult to pick up, but it will probably take a least a couple weeks. How much time do you have available to complete this project? Also, can you get away with just designing it without having to build it or do they want you to actually build a working model too?

Last edited:
well for the project i have a half year nearly ...........i made some researches about the entire project ............for the micro controller i will take a course for it.......and if i stucked in something i will ask you my friend ...........thanks so so much
If u have a facebook account i would like to be friends?

hi MrAl,

well for the project i have a half year nearly ......so i have the time to get everything in my project.....for the micro controller i will try to take a course about it.....if there is a book i can read about micro controller please give me its name......
and i really wants to be friends in facebook if you have an account in facebook to communicate with each other easier.....my E-mail is (amer.rateb@yahoo.com)

I don't think there's any one particular PIC that's better for this application. It all depends on what you want it to do. In other words, you first need to define the functionality of your project: what is it supposed to do? What exactly are you measuring? How often? How do you want it to be displayed? What kind of user interface (controls, menus, etc.) do you want? Those kinds of things.

Define the problem well, and the problem gets much easier to solve.

OK carbonzit.....i want my project to do :
1-Power Calculations and then displayed to a LCD to give an indication how much power consumed per hour.
2-To be designed to give an option of Prepaid Energy Meter.
3-To be connected to the Electricity company that in charge of.
4-Detection of tampering.
5-To send informations to the user telling him about the reading of the Meter,value of the bill and the left time inorder to the payment.
6-High Accuracy.
7-High Security.

hi MrAl,

well for the project i have a half year nearly ......so i have the time to get everything in my project.....for the micro controller i will try to take a course about it.....if there is a book i can read about micro controller please give me its name......
and i really wants to be friends in facebook if you have an account in facebook to communicate with each other easier.....my E-mail is (amer.rateb@yahoo.com)

Hi amer,

On that's very good then, you have time and if you take the course for uC chips i think you will be much better prepared for this little project.

I dont have a facebook account but have thought about making one. I hear nasty stuff about that site though about peoples private info sand the like.

OK carbonzit.....i want my project to do :
1-Power Calculations and then displayed to a LCD to give an indication how much power consumed per hour.
2-To be designed to give an option of Prepaid Energy Meter.
3-To be connected to the Electricity company that in charge of.
4-Detection of tampering.
5-To send informations to the user telling him about the reading of the Meter,value of the bill and the left time inorder to the payment.
6-High Accuracy.
7-High Security.

Have you looked at smart meters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back