Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me - school project!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ineedhelp123,

Since there has been so many options, can you post drawing(s) of your mechanism(s)?

Ken

sorry ive handed them in, but i do have descriptions of the mechanisms. the above description is a simplified version of it

here is a model ive found on the net which i think is what im trying to do. (i was surprised a project like this has alrdy been done, which is strange)

**broken link removed**

mine is much scaled down than this, so the wing will actually touch a reed switch near the mechanism (motor-gear-pulley)

this will start the relay and push the wing back up. then i just want it to STOP. until the start button for the motor is pressed again.

i just need to do that circuit basically.

ineedhelp123,

Go back to my post, #33. Dump the two pulleys, move the motor over to the position of the pulley on the left, replace the string with a wire, and you have the same setup as shown in your picture. Because of the cam action of the wheel on the motor, in my drawing and your picture, there is no need to reverse the motor. If you use the pushbutton to start the motor, the (normally closed) reed switch at the "'level" position to stop it, you can use my relay circuit.

Reed: **broken link removed** Use the Common and Normally-Closed contacts.
Relay: **broken link removed** They have 5v and 6v relays too.

Ken

Thanks Kmoffett, rly appreicate it

my plane is going to be in this starting position, meaning i want it to return to this position after going down.

**broken link removed**

would this affect ur idea?

No. Just a matter of where you put the magnet and reed switch. :)

Ken

Wow, its starting to make sense. thx u sooo much KMoffett ;) u dnt knw how helpful this has been, bcos i was about to give up and just accept that i will get a crappy grade =[ but u and others (MrDebb) and more have rly helped.

right now i am making the circuit and i'll post it up when im done. Thanks again u guys

;) :)

The magnet location would have to be as shown to end with the left wing down.

Ken

Attachments

• Airplane Banking Drive2.gif
    Airplane Banking Drive2.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 210
ineedhelp123,

Sad to say, but your circuit doesn't make a bit of sense. I see no power supply connections. Your transistor/resistor/relay connections are all just shorted together. I think I have a clue, but can you explain how you see this circuit working?

Ken

OMG, i forgot abwt the power supply :(;( how can i b so stupid =[

i'll update it sorry Kmoffett

the circuit is like the current goes into the motor to start it, and then out into the realy which reverses it, i hope.

ive been working on this for 4 hours now and still hav nothing =[

**broken link removed**

i cant seem 2 find the ground (0 voltage) for some reason. thats why when i press the button, the motor doesnt stop :/:/

^^ just me being stupid again, i put the resistor values too low. But how can i get the relay to reverse the motor? r the connections wrong.

ps. i hate my parents 4 making me do this =[

Last edited:
The 500 and 10K resistors serve no purpose, other than continuously drain the battery. With the base, emitter, and the collector/relay-coil/650-resistor all shorted together, that part of the circuit does nothing. What your circuit (simulation?) does is place a battery, a switch, and a motor in series, so when the switch is closed the motor runs. And will continue to run until that switch is opened. Have you figured out from my sketch, and our photo, why you do not need to reverse the motor?

Ken

Your update still doesn't work. (old joke: You're rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. ;) ) Now your circuit places a battery, a switch, a 10 K resistor, a motor, and another 10K resistor in series, so when the switch is closed the there is probably not enough current to even turn the motor. The transistor and the relay still do nothing. Can you explain what you want each part of the circuit to do?

Added: Actually the lower 10K resistor is shorted out too.

Ken

Last edited:
How can i connect the relay to the motor so it actually reverses?

thats all i want answered rly =[

im on the point of giving up now tbh, ive sat here for 5 hours thinking but still nothing. id rather jst get a crappy grade rly. thx to you for trying to help me anyway,its rly nice of you.

OK, here is a basic relay reversing circuit for a motor. With the switch open the relay coil is not powered (as shown on the left) and the motor turns in one direction. With the switch closed, the relay coil is powered (as shown on the right) and the motor turns in the other direction. Track the path of the current from the +12v supply through the relay contacts to one motor terminal, and from the other motor terminal, back through the relay contacts to common. Note the change in polarity at the motor terminals when the relay switches.

This is only runs the motor in one direction or the other, it does not start and stop it. Maybe we can build on that. ;)

Ken

Attachments

• Airplane Banking Drive3.gif
    Airplane Banking Drive3.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 148
Ah thx , i get that now :) so that is how we link it up and reverse the motor :)

but can i get the motor to run first, pull the wing down and then get reversed?

btw u can call me cristina if u want (its ma real name );)

cristina,

Since you will be using a small motor on a low inertia mechanism and not running it hour after hour, reversing probably won't be a big problem.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back