Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help :LED strobes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
dryden_burton said:
is there a kit i can order with all the parts and the pcb

You are aware that these 555 designs don't meet your requirements?.

You wanted two flashes each side, this will only give one!.

yes 2 flashes on each side

Ahh, I was thinking you wanted two LEDs on the left to flash one time, then two LEDs on the right to flash one time, repeat. I didn't realize you wanted two left LEDs to flash twice, then two right LEDs to flash twice. In that case no, my 555 design definitely wouldn't do that. :)

dryden_burton said:
is there a kit i can order with all the parts and the pcb

btw sometimes it will be running 4 LEDs 2 on the Right and 2 on the Left and sometimes it will be runing 6 LEDs 3 on the Right and 3 on the Left

thanx

its for a model truck with a trailer so it wont always be running the same amount of LEDs

gerty said:
Here's one that'll do what you want (LL-RR ) It's a 4093b clock going to a 4017 counter. Two of the outputs are tied together with diodes for each side. You can change the pot or cap for different speeds, the values I show are what works for us on the Rescue vehicles.
I had to shrink it down to fit the screen, any questions, just ask ..
Hope this helps :D

gerty what parts and numers do i need, its too small for me to read

Sorry 'bout the print size..
4093b quad nand schmitt trigger
4017 counter
10mf 50 electrolytic cap
10k pot
1n914 diodes
tip29a transistor
Use outputs 0, 2, 4, 6. of 4017 to base of tip 29a.
Output 7 is used for reset. I'll try again with drawing..

Pin #s

Attachments

• wigwag2.gif
    wigwag2.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,000
Watch out, Dryden.
The TIP29 is very powerful and Gerty's circuit was designed to drive 19 LEDs that all have current-limiting resistors in them. If you connect ordinary LEDs to his circuit they will blow-up immediately!

The 4017B can directly drive a single ordinary LED on each side though the diodes, with the cathode of the LEDs connected to ground. With a 9V supply, they don't need current-limiting resistors and the LED currents will be about 8mA. With a 12V supply, current-limiting resistors of about 390 ohms are needed in series with each LED and their current will be about 10mA.
Try to get ultra-bright 3.5V LEDs which are usually blue, green or white.

Yes you can use resistors to limit current. According to my ecg crossover book the tip29 is the same as the tip29a...

audioguru said:
!
The 4017B can directly drive a single ordinary LED on each side though the diodes.
So, why do you need high-power TIP29 transistors?

killer007 said:
I am in need for a diagram/schematic/circuit also for a 12v LED Strobe light!
The circuits shown does not give me the right effect!!!
We are talking about an LED blink-blink light. A strobe light uses an Xenon high voltage discharge tube that is much brighter than LEDs.

There are some new expensive and high power LEDs that could be used in a suitable high current circuit.
Which LEDs have you tried?

If you wannabe like a police car then do this:
1) Find some super-bright LEDs and their datasheets.
2) Design a circuit to drive 30 of them.
3) Design a hardware circuit or program a microcontroller to control them.
4) Buy one, throw away its circuit and use its case for yours.

I haven't seen them. Maybe they have 30 of the $9.00 each Luxeon LEDs which cost $270.00 plus a few more parts and some profit. Then they have a full list price of $700.00.

Or maybe they are cheap Chinese ones and somebody is making a big ripoff.

killer007 said:
I am in need for a circuit to build 1 of these lights (see Att)

The blue and red lights flashes at single, dubble and tripple flash rates. This light flash first blue then red. B,R,B,R,B,R OR BB,RR,BB,RR,BB,RR OR BBB,RRR,BBB,RRR,BBB,RRR.

The solid red light can also flash at those settings.

Please can you help me!!!!

Response Car? What is that? Are you a volunteer firefighter or first responder? Somthing like this in Red/Blue could get you in a heap of trouble if you use it wrong.......

The case is going to be the hardest part. Like AudioGuru said, you are almost going to have to buy somthing and put your guts in it. Unless you have many tools for working with plastics at your disposal. if its not sealed perfectly against water, its not going to have a very long happy life.

Dash/Deck strobes would be easier. That way they are inside the car.

A word of wise though, as far as I know, red/blue strobes are against the law in all 50 states with very few exceptions. The police are pretty much the only ones that can have them. Volly fire and responders are somtimes allowed other colors, like green/clear or Amber/Clear. If you don't know the law for a fact, I would check before you go order your LEDs.

In Canada the police shoot you and chop off your head if they catch you with a flashing blue light. Even in summer blue is reserved for snowplows.

One of my "flashlights" has an ultra-bright blue LED that flashes very quickly to save power. I have become an expert at "ducking" the police bullets.:D

You know what? We don't get snow anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back