Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help a newbie....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckf

Hi everyone.

I've been given the task of creating a system where by we send the character 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 out on the Serial Port, and a corresponding LED lights up.

I've used PIC's before, but never with Serial, and to be honest it was a long time ago!

Can anyone suggest a Serial board with LED outputs, or adise me on how to get started?

Any help would be great.

Cheers
CKF. :?

Did you ask in the PIC forum of this site ?
What you're trying to do is a really simple task. What PIC are you planning to use ? Some of them have built in USART, so the routines needed to send/receive data are tiny (less than 10 lines of assembler code).

sbayeta said:
Did you ask in the PIC forum of this site ?
What you're trying to do is a really simple task. What PIC are you planning to use ? Some of them have built in USART, so the routines needed to send/receive data are tiny (less than 10 lines of assembler code).

Hi,

I did ask in another forum area, but got no reply. I didn't chose the PIC forum as I wasn't sure if using a PIC was worth it if someone knew of a board already made up or a more simple approach.

I've no plans on which chips to use at all - it's at the "can it be done" stage really and as I've not touched electronics for 6 years, I'm somewhat clueless!

You say it's easy - where should I be starting. PIC or not.

Cheers

I'd use a PIC. They are inexpensive and easy to use.

As I said before, some PICs have built-in USART. Take a look at the 16F87x family.

You will aslo need MAX232 (RS232-TTL interface), a crystal (maybe 4MHz) and some other components.

Take a look at the Microchip's Application Notes section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back