Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Playing with crt's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always scared by the so many warnings about HV in CRTs :nailbiting:, I never messed with them, and now, I think is a little late to start. Aren't they vanishing from Earth? It seems that I always try to catch up with old techniques.

High voltage, low current - so not particularly dangerous - the shock won't kill you, but you 'might' injure yourself as a result of the shock.

CRT's have pretty well vanished, the sets are totally worthless, you can't give them away :D

High voltage, low current - so not particularly dangerous - the shock won't kill you, but you 'might' injure yourself as a result of the shock.

CRT's have pretty well vanished, the sets are totally worthless, you can't give them away :D

Hola Nigel,

For the kind of play Dr P is doing, are PC monitors us much useful as TVs?

Still in doubt to do anything: RS232, PS2, logarithmic amplifiers and God knows what else; I am in doubt to add CRTs to the list of techniques in retreat... :confused:

Maybe an NTSC (or even better, PAL SECAM) video signal generator? :p

Hola Nigel,

For the kind of play Dr P is doing, are PC monitors us much useful as TVs?

Probably more so - far more use to generate a proper VGA video signal than mess about with direct scanning of a CRT electron beam :D

He's 30+ years to late for doing this :p but at least it's keeping him busy :D

There's even a VERY old MicroChip application note that does audio spectrum analysis, and displays a graph directly on a VGA monitor.

Still in doubt to do anything: RS232, PS2, logarithmic amplifiers and God knows what else; I am in doubt to add CRTs to the list of techniques in retreat... :confused:

Maybe an NTSC (or even better, PAL SECAM) video signal generator? :p

Again, it's really FAR too late for that - there's also various PIC and AVR examples already out there.

PC monitors can be more useful, lookout for things like multi scan issues.
Circuit topology is often very different in monitors, scan coils are also totally different.
I dont mind being 30 years out of date, actually thats modern for me, I'm usually restoring a radio or telly thats or 60 or 70 years out of date.

Except here Nigel

I have seen Factory built sets that come complete with E/W. Built like that from new....

I reckon I have another five Years here of repairing CRT. By then CRT should be dead and buried once the Chings have modified and used every available Mod they can to sell to the stupid masses...

CRT will only be truly done when South Africa is finished with it and every available Ching opportunity has been offloaded here....

Some of the FACTORY modifications I see daily would make your hair stand on end :eek::eek:

I promise you, the very last dregs of CRT are being dumped here. Stuff patched together in a nice shiny casing....open it up and it's like WTF happened here????

All the best,
tvtech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back