Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plasma TV Power Supply Interchangeability

Status
Not open for further replies.

NandM

First off, let me say that my knowledge of electronics is just enough to be dangerous, :woot:. So, I am hoping somebody here can give me an answer to this issue:

I have a Panasonic TC-P50ST50 50 inch plasma TV, awesome TV, still worth repairing. Anyway, it literally started smoking one day, then, no more picture. There was an obvious burnt chip (ceramic disk cap) on the power supply board (TXN/P2STUEP). I acquired a known working replacement board that looks identical except for the part number, it has all the same chips and connectors, is the same size and looks identical in every way. Only difference is the part number corresponds to the next size screen (55inch) in the same Viera TV model line-up.

My question is, should I install this replacement board being that all the circuitry looks identical and it fits perfectly??

I'm not a tv guy but if its just the power supply I think you'd be ok. I would assume the important stuff is in the main board (one with big mcu) and maybe y-z boards

Bear in mind you will almost certainly have to adjust the power rails (even if you used the correct board), the exact values required are usually printed on the PDP itself, and the procedure will be described in the service manual.

I would suggest you download the service manuals for both sets, and compare the voltages - the 55 might be higher voltage?.

Bear in mind you will almost certainly have to adjust the power rails (even if you used the correct board), the exact values required are usually printed on the PDP itself, and the procedure will be described in the service manual.

I would suggest you download the service manuals for both sets, and compare the voltages - the 55 might be higher voltage?.

Could you point out the power rails on this board? Not finding the service manual anywhere. Thanks.
Pan PB.jpg

Could you point out the power rails on this board? Not finding the service manual anywhere. Thanks.

No idea, if you can't find the manuals for the two sets, then it's just guess work if it will be OK or not. The few Plasma's I've been involved with all mention how important setting the power supply to match the PDP is, which is why the voltages are printed on the PDP itself.

I presume the failed capacitor is one of the small blue ones?, this is a VERY common failure in all kinds of equipment, they don't seem very reliable. However, they normally go S/C, and crack and smoke, but don't usually cause much other damage - usually replacing the capacitor and perhaps a blown fuse, is all that's required. It might be easier, and safer, to repair the original board.

Yes, it was a tiny blue cap, we freaked out when smoke started coming from the tv! So I looked at some block diagrams for the matching 55 inch Viera and closest 50 inchers I could find and the voltages are the same everywhere throughout these models. I can't imagine my 50" Viera would be any different.

Thanks all for the responses.

yeah, at a service center where i worked, they used to buy those blue caps in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back