Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plans to build a regulator rectifier for Suzuki LS 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be your battery is rubbish.

The first thing is to find out if you are working with a single phase or three phase magneto system. Either way, I really don't think it will be worth building one vs just finding one on ebay or something. They are generally worth around 5 bucks.

If you want to move ahead, you will need to perform some testing on the charging coils so we know how much power will need sinked.

Extra info : the savage alternator is three phase, output 210 watt at 5000rpm, standard charge output equals 14-15 volt dc at 5000rpm , standard no load performance equals more than 100v ac at 5000rpm

I am a bike mechanic and a little confused by your problem. You say you are cooking your alternator?? that would generally take more power than the alternator can give to cook the wiring. Can you be more specific as to what is happening and why you want to build your own when they are commercially available for cheap? 3ph regulators are all over egay for just a few bucks.

'Cooking the alternator' means the windings are burnt out. I was told Suzuki routs excess currant back through the windings and that overheats them ? All i know is that the Suzuki reg/rectifier is known for being crap over hear. This bike has 83000 miles on the clock from new -put there by my me. Its on it third alternator and 4th reg/rectifier - 2 were accessory ones. Tired of buying crap ones. We try alternatives down here haha so im prepared to try building a simple one that's replaceable.

'Cooking the alternator' means the windings are burnt out. I was told Suzuki routs excess currant back through the windings and that overheats them ? All i know is that the Suzuki reg/rectifier is known for being crap over hear. This bike has 83000 miles on the clock from new -put there by my me. Its on it third alternator and 4th reg/rectifier - 2 were accessory ones. Tired of buying crap ones. We try alternatives down here haha so im prepared to try building a simple one that's replaceable.

Why not take the origional one apart, And Draw out the Schematic.
Than figure out Why it Fails and work to correct the problem.

Also Posting that Schematic here, will probably result in lots of advice.

The rectifier in your bike has a fairly simple design. That said, it won't be worth it to build your own. The 90s Honda rectifiers are crap as well and I replaced mine with an early Yamaha R1 rectifier with no problems and I know others used the one from the GSXR successfully. The only modification needed is splicing the wires. A rectifier from most any other bike with a 3 phase rectifier should work.

I would recommend that you diagnose the entire charging system using the following guides before buying anything. The second one may be redundant.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/03/fault-finding-diagram.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/03/diode-testing-guide.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back