Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

piezoelectric accelerometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam288

Does anybody have any idea about piezoelectric accelerometers which can be used for measuring pulse rate in a finger.?
Is it available in th emarket or has to be built..?

sam288,

You'll need a very sensitive accelerometer to detect this (obviously) but even then a piezoelectric accelerometer may not be the best option. Our heart rate should be roughly 60 beats a minute or on the order of 1 Hz which is at the lower end of piezoelectric accelerometer's bandwidth. You may be better off with a capacitive MEMS accelerometer or piezoresistive.

Here's a link on some basics of accelerometer selection and the difference between the three main accelerometer types (piezoelectric, piezoresistive, and capacitive MEMS): https://blog.mide.com/accelerometer-selection

Forgive me i f this is irrelavent, finger pulse detectors are usually infra red, such a circuit would be easier to build.

Forgive me i f this is irrelavent, finger pulse detectors are usually infra red, such a circuit would be easier to build.

That would be my thinking. A Google of "ir heart rate sensor" will get you a dozen or more hits. These sensors are very inexpensive and easily interface to micro-controllers and other displays. A complete sensor unit, including the LED emitter cost about $3.50 USD. These are what is inside the little clip on units you see used in hospitals or anywhere a heart rate is measured.

Ron

sam288,

You'll need a very sensitive accelerometer to detect this (obviously) but even then a piezoelectric accelerometer may not be the best option. Our heart rate should be roughly 60 beats a minute or on the order of 1 Hz which is at the lower end of piezoelectric accelerometer's bandwidth. You may be better off with a capacitive MEMS accelerometer or piezoresistive.

Here's a link on some basics of accelerometer selection and the difference between the three main accelerometer types (piezoelectric, piezoresistive, and capacitive MEMS): https://blog.mide.com/accelerometer-selection

The original post was in 2009. Maybe MEMS accelerometers were not so easy to find back then? I could not say as I don't remember :)

The original post was in 2009. Maybe MEMS accelerometers were not so easy to find back then? I could not say as I don't remember :)

I hate it when that happens. I forget to look at dates.

Thanks Mike
Ron

Me too.

I dont think the op will be along soon either, sam's last post was 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back