Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Piezo transducer.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFERNANDEZ

Guys,

I would like to build a circuit with piezo sensor that when vibrated it will turn on a load of 1 amp or so. Can you guys help me out!

Thanks

what is threshold value of the amplitude of vibrations on which is based the logic of turning on the load? and what do u mean by a "load of 1 amps"? be more specific please...

They do make mechanical switches that respond to movement - automotive security systems use them. That might be a one step approach - not really an "electronic" solution but something to consider.

With the limited information you provided it's difficult to respond however let me make some assumptions and describe with words, a kind of block diagram of how one system might work.

Sensor might be a microphone, as already suggested. Ideally a very wide frequency response might be helpful. That way you can capture more intelligence from the vibration.

Feed the microphone into a preamplifier and small amplifier. Rectify the output of the amplifier so that you have a DC voltage that will vary somewhat according to the output. Use the DC voltage and an comparator (like an LM339) so that it will toggle when a selected threshold is exceeded. Provide the proper relay driver on the output of the comparator to drive whatever load is desired.

At some point you might provide some filtering - that might hopefully focus on the levels of vibrations that represent what you want to see - leaving out the stuff that you don't want. You could also send the signal to your computer for analysis/triggering. That's a bit more complicated but still within reach.

Hope this helps.

piezo

I am experimenting at this time with 2 different piezo elements so I don't think the amplitude is important. I know that the elements on a scope generate voltages ranging from 10mV to 100mV at least.
When this voltage is being generated I want to switch up to 1 amp 12VDC & 1 amp 120VAC..... I have looked for simple circuits to do this but can't find any.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back