Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Piezo transducer extreme current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolaii

Hi,
I am doing a project in which i need to power piezo transducer with 140 kHz ~20V signal. When I`m powering piezo with generator it only takes 6mA. But when I try to power piezo with my circuit it takes more than 1A. When i place resistor it gets hot and circuit lose power. Where is the problem?
Maybe you could give me advice of alternate ways to power piezo with such a signal?
**broken link removed**

Is this your circuit?
How much current is available at the 20 V source?
What is the value of L1?
Do you know why L1 is in the circuit?
Manufacturer / part number for the transducer?

ak

Last edited:
Nicolaii get the RLC Nomograph and look up impedance at resonant f and ask yourself , does f match source and what is impedance of the switch and why does this lower Q in a shunt tank. Try a linear bias current sink sine wave at resonant f instead of a switched square wave and don't saturate L. Add plastic C if f is fixed.

Last edited:
Why 140 KHz?
Will your piezo even operate at that Frequency?
And you also can't hear it.

Hi,
I am doing a project in which i need to power piezo transducer with 140 kHz ~20V signal. When I`m powering piezo with generator it only takes 6mA. But when I try to power piezo with my circuit it takes more than 1A. When i place resistor it gets hot and circuit lose power. Where is the problem?
Maybe you could give me advice of alternate ways to power piezo with such a signal?
**broken link removed**

Hi Nicolii,

give the circuit below a try.

spec

2016_11_29_Iss2_ETO_PEIZO_DRIVER_VER1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes 140kc is very high.
Increasing the inductance of the inductor will reduce current flow and 'volume'.

Which Piezo are you using?
Most Piezo's have a Limited Frequency range of reproduction.
Very FEW of them will do 140khz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back