Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICs with Bootloader and Basic option

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgibbs

Most Helpful Member
hi,
Interesting link.

**broken link removed**

I wonder if there is a BASIC benchmark program that would work on this, the BS2, Swordfish, Axe... I'd really like to see the difference.

Scratch that, another brain burp. No real significance whatsoever, just guessing whats under the lapel. After taking a second look, its not going to be a dsPIC. Another PICAXE or basic stamp if you will.

A quick and dirty benchmark would be a constant loop that adds 1 to the value of an 8 bit register every time it loops, or simply toggle a single I/O line. Just measure the frequency at the last pin and compare that to it's running frequency.

I have one of these

They claim this runs "twice as fast as their nearest competitor running at 16MHz", you're free to guess who that is. And they claim it's price is better than the PICAxe series, approx $8 to $11. They have an 18, 28 and 40 pin version. Their benchmark is based on a test of every "nonblocking" command" (anything that calls for a pause) run in a loop one million times. It's nice that it runs using the internal clock set to 8MHz. No crystal or caps to install wrong. The BASIC is quite comprehensive, even has 32 bit math. I prefer their older Basic Atom ICs as they run with a resonator or crystal at 20 MHz. Never hurts to have faster response to interrupts and higher Baud rates. I got the Nano because it has an inexpensive development board that uses USB for programming and communications. And, of course, I'm familiar with the BASIC.

Worth checking out!
kenjj

I'm missing something. Is the BASIC Nano just another PICAxe? How fast is it compared to a compiled language like Swordfish?
We ran the bit toggle numbers here on an 18f Pic and an AVR mega. Just so happened to be both at 8Mhz internal osc. It did catch a small weakness of the AVR, but just not a real world test to start with.

Its an apples and oranges thing, different people, or audience are going to go the programmer compiler route.

Nickle, try it on anything lower than an 18F, the numbers for the PICs will drop through the floor by a factor of four or better, the AVR's won't no matter what model you use. That's why I don't ***** too much about PIC's anymore, anything over the 18F series they're really comparable.

Last edited:
Admit the 12f, 16f are growing a liitle stale. Competition is a good thing though. Microchip is coming out with a **broken link removed** between the 16f and 18f to try and take up some of the slack. And Atmel is coming out with a fully loaded **broken link removed**, and **broken link removed** (internal boost regulator) too. Isn't life grand:D. I would like to try one of the 0.7 volt models, but you have to buy a tube or reel to get one right now.

I'll have to look those up. Sound tastey =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back