Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC's, where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinCity337

Hi Folks,

Well, I have an idea for a personal project, and I am not sure where
to begin. What I want to do:

Display 2, maybe 3 temps (not simultaniously) using temp probes
(switching between Temp 1, Temp 2, etc, with a button press)
Display a pressure in psi, using a motorola pressure sensor

I haven't narrowed down what kind of display, maybe HDSP-2112 (LED),
a Noritake VFD, or a LCD.

Here is what I have: MPLAB, PicBasic Pro Compiler, LAB-X1A protoboard, PICSTART Plus programmer.
I guess what I want to know is where do I begin? Do I learn how to write code for taking external data
measurements first, or do I learn how to program a PIC for driving a display. Also, there are a myriad of
choices when it comes to PICs,
which one do I use? 16f877, 16f84, 12f675?
Is there any good books or websites that have example code to get me jumpstarted? I have Programming
and Customizing PICmicro Microcontrollers by Myke Predko, and another book on PicBasic.
Any hints, tips, suggestions from the experts here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

James

Well, from the little experience that I've gained with LED and LCD displays. The LED displays are demanding because you have to write a code that will constantly multiplex between the digits (if it's more than 2 digits), and do everything else inbetween. So that is why I started teaching my self to use an LCD. With LCD's you just update the data once and the LCD driver will do the rest. The only thing with those is that you have to learn the LCD driver protocal (which I haven't done yet :) ), where as LED's are self explanitory.

If I were me, I would learn to display something on the display first, that way you will be able to see what it is you are measuring, or at least have an idea of what's being outputted.

oh yeah. one more thing.

if you want a real challenge but compactness it is possible to use the 12F675 with a serial to parallel shift register for the LCD, it's tricky with only 6 pins.

If you want easyness the 16F877 is a good beefed up chip. The 16F84 doesn't even have A/D's.

k7michal said:
oh yeah. one more thing.

if you want a real challenge but compactness it is possible to use the 12F675 with a serial to parallel shift register for the LCD, it's tricky with only 6 pins.

If you want easyness the 16F877 is a good beefed up chip. The 16F84 doesn't even have A/D's.

I posted a sample here once on how to drive a LCD using only 3 µC lines using a 4094 serial shift register

For a LED Display look at a CD4511, It lets you latch the data in for each digit, and displaying it on its own.

Lcd work great to, but you need to consider how it is to be viewed(light conditions, angle).

Dalas Semi Has great temp sensors, with One-Wire interface.

I go nothing under a 16F87X series, it has good built-in interfaces.
18F series are nice to, no banking needed, lots more built-in interfaces.

Just choose a chip that will work with all your sensors.

Have fun :)

learning ASSAMBLER

I want to learn PIC ASSAMBLER ,instructiones to program a PIC 16f84,enything about programming a PIC

PLS give me a web page address about PIC ASSAMBLER learning, where is free :D

10X

Re: learning ASSAMBLER

parazit85 said:
I want to learn PIC ASSAMBLER ,instructiones to program a PIC 16f84,enything about programming a PIC

PLS give me a web page address about PIC ASSAMBLER learning, where is free :D

You could look at my tutorials at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk which use the 16F628 (and others). The tutorials, along with the datasheet for the PIC's, should help you to learn. It's not intended as a 'Learn PIC Programming In Seven Days' type of thing, it requires a fair amount of effort - but it does provide examples of working hardware and software, with all the details you need.

I think a good way to learn is to copy other peoples examples, try and find how they actually work, then modify them to make them do things slightly differently. If the modifications work or not, it all helps you to learn - if they don't work, the debugging involved will probably help you more than if they do work first time.

Sorry it took so long to get bak to this, but I am currently in the military and have been quite busy. Anyway, thanks guys for your replies, I really do appreciate it. Now all I need is some free time to tinker and learn! I'll let you know how it goes, I promise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back