Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICS and smart devices (beginners question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody. I would like to ask a beginners question and I would appreciate your helpful responses

I have worked with PIC18F in the past. They were quite useful, I worked with A/D and USB capabilities. Also a little bit with PWM.

Now my question is much more general and does not necessarily has to do with PIC18s but with any kind of PICs

Lets say that I have developed a device that does something (say control a motor) using a PIC microcontroller. I want this device to be communicated with a smart device( android smart phone, tablet, ipod, ipad etc)

My questions are two

1) What function should I be looking into to realize this? Wifi? Bluetooth? any other? I dont think USB will be that useful since it would lost the portability quality of the smart device...(*)

2) About the function asked in 1) , what devices support it? PIC18s? PIC32s? any particular recommendation?

I am sorry for the generality of the question but I am just starting with this idea from today. I suppose I will read tons of literature now so a quick couple of pointers of where to read would be very much appreciated

Thanks a lot in advance

Kansai

(*) I read that Microchip provides some android beginner test that has to be connected through the USB of the micro... well... as last resource maybe I will look into this but I am guessing perhaps Bluetooth is better...what do you guys think?

I'd say bluetooth, normally the coms link is a serial one which most PICs support. You'll have to buy a bluetooth module, you can find these on ebay Audrino do good ones. They need a regulated 3.3V supply so you'll need that as well.

And also you'll need to build a bluetooth app for your phone.

Are you making automatic blinds or something?

Thank you for your reply :)

ummm no, I am not making automatic blinds although that sounds like a entertaining idea:D maybe I will try that later;)

Anyway, let me see... you are saying i should have a PIC that communicates serially with a bluetooth module (for example an Arduino one). The data will pass to the bluetooth module and be sent to the mobile device in which there will be an app to interpret it and send it back...

Am I getting you right? :confused:
does that mean that any PIC with serial capabilities will do??

I'd say bluetooth, normally the coms link is a serial one which most PICs support. You'll have to buy a bluetooth module, you can find these on ebay Audrino do good ones. They need a regulated 3.3V supply so you'll need that as well.

And also you'll need to build a bluetooth app for your phone.

Are you making automatic blinds or something?

Yes you've understood. Yes basicly any PIC with serial interface will do - check the BT module though! The only limit to the pic is any other functions you may want to have, and also ensuring you have enough program memory.

What are you trying to do. I would advise you that the android app may be difficult to make but you could be better than me at this???

I've got a BT module havent got arround to connecting it all up yet so i'd be quite interested to find out how you get on with this. PM me with progress please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back