Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICs and PWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

philo

Any chance of some advice?
I need to design an LED dimming circuit to be used as a speedo backlight. I will need to have two inputs corresponding to "Dimmer" and "Brighter" and use a PWM output to the LEDs.
At university, I did a similar project using a 16F84 and the output derived from a simple count up or down. I am considering using the same for this project, but I am sure that there will be a more suitable PIC for this application. I've checked the Microchip website but the sheer number of types available is a bit daunting!

Pick one with internal PWM - the 16F628 (the 'modern' replacement for the antique 16F84) has a single PWM channel, and also an internal 4MHz oscillator. There are many others which would do the job, but that one should be familiar to you.

justDIY said:
12F683 with one pwm channel, internall 8mhz osc and only 8 pins.

The 12F683 is a great little chip. I use it in a number of compact designs. Not only does it have PWM, it also has 3 timers including a 16-bit one and one with a period register, interrupts, a comparator, A/D converter, and interrupt on change pins.

You can get them for about $1 in quantities of 25 from Mouser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back