Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICKIT3 not programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its in the config registers config4 lower... Bit 2
Hi R,
This is my Config setup:
Define CONFIG2L = 0x1e
Define CONFIG2H = 0x00
Define CONFIG3L = 0x00
Define CONFIG3H = 0x81 'Set for HVP
Define CONFIG4L = 0x80
Define CONFIG4H = 0x00
Define CONFIG5L = 0x0f
Define CONFIG5H = 0xc0
Define CONFIG6L = 0x0f
Define CONFIG6H = 0xe0
Define CONFIG7L = 0x0f
Define CONFIG7H = 0x40

But what I'm asking is what is the voltage range for LVP and HVP?
C

Hi,
This 'pop-up' just popped up:
C.

Attachments

• Wrong.jpg
    Wrong.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 210
If HVP is selected the pickit 3 generates the high voltage so you don't have to... If you use LVP you CANNOT use this pin for anything else..

RB5 on the pic18... it becomes a dedicated programming pin..

Hi R,
This is my Config setup:
Define CONFIG2L = 0x1e
Define CONFIG2H = 0x00
Define CONFIG3L = 0x00
Define CONFIG3H = 0x81 'Set for HVP
Define CONFIG4L = 0x80
Define CONFIG4H = 0x00
Define CONFIG5L = 0x0f
Define CONFIG5H = 0xc0
Define CONFIG6L = 0x0f
Define CONFIG6H = 0xe0
Define CONFIG7L = 0x0f
Define CONFIG7H = 0x40

But what I'm asking is what is the voltage range for LVP and HVP?
C

You don't need to know, but LVP simply uses Vdd, and HVP uses whatever the specific PIC is designed to use, it's all taken care of by the PK.

Hi C.. Re the PK3 firmware ....click the green circle arrows, second top left of the Dashboard. for refresh Debug Tool Status .

refresh.jpg

The [x] set in the project config for PK3 will load latest firmware,

latest.jpg

I don't think that is your problem you need to sort out the other CONFIG settings.
Go to [Window] click Target Memory Views . And Configuration bits. that will display your current setting and can generate code to paste into your program

Last edited:
The PICkit 2 is very keen on self-preservation. If you short something or draw too much current, it will shutdown and refuse to function.

To restore operation, I have to unplug the PICkit from USB and close and restart the GUI program.

The PICkit 3 may share this heritage.

Hi V,
It's [possible that the Pickit3 suffered something like this, as it started programming today.

Having said that the config settings, as mentioned, are also causing some problems. I played with them, and got some odd results. i,e, some of the suggestions appear to be incorrect, although it could be me. I have been getting a bit mixed up, while checking them, and will clarify, later.
C.

Go to [Window] click Target Memory Views . And Configuration bits. that will display your current setting and can generate code to paste into your program
Hi C did you do this ? I presume your using MPLABX , ? In the memory view you get your current CONFIG then you can click the various options to see available settings, then generate the code to cut and paste from the 'output window' into your program , Job done !
What was the PK3 firmware version ?

Hi C did you do this ? I presume your using MPLABX , ? In the memory view you get your current CONFIG then you can click the various options to see available settings, then generate the code to cut and paste from the 'output window' into your program , Job done !
What was the PK3 firmware version ?
Hi G,
Previously, I programmed on the arm of a settee with a fast desktop, but I moved into a workshop with a laptop, where MPLAB takes a lot of the screen, so I used the smalled Pickit3 app.

At the same time Im using newly made PCBs, where the offending PC doesn't have a XTL, so some f the problem are from my soldering an XTL addition and some are from the creaky laptop, not forgetting program mix-ups. As you can see a bit confused. I'm working through each obstacle in sequence, then hopefully I will get there.

Today, I noticed this pop-up, which could also be adding into the mix.

I use Oshonsoft to propgram, and this has a fascility to change config settings, as you suggest. I've just been looking closer, and can see some erros, other than this one!
C.

Attachments

• Surge.jpg
    Surge.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 196
I had a pickit3 fail on me a couple of months ago and found a diagnostic program to test it with. After running all the tests, it appeared to be working just fine. I then did a "Revert to MPLAB X mode" and it started working fine again. This page seems to explain it.

Mike.

I had a pickit3 fail on me a couple of months ago and found a diagnostic program to test it with. After running all the tests, it appeared to be working just fine. I then did a "Revert to MPLAB X mode" and it started working fine again. This page seems to explain it.

Mike.
Hi M,
Thanks for the link.
As mine started woeking again, it may be something different.
While I'm messing about, I'll order a new laptop (It's time!) This should clear some things in my mind.
C.

Hi C , Never a good idea to use PK3 to power the device , Laptop usb supplies are notoriously noisy ( well used to be ) .. the Standalone PK3 SW is a bit Iffy !
I have 3 PK3s (one a clone ) and never had a problem that wasn't of my own making !

Hi C , Never a good idea to use PK3 to power the device , Laptop usb supplies are notoriously noisy ( well used to be ) .. the Standalone PK3 SW is a bit Iffy !
I have 3 PK3s (one a clone ) and never had a problem that wasn't of my own making !
Hi G,
Apart from rare cases, I always power the PCB (As if it was programmed and running) This is my understanding of powering the device, am I correct?
C

Hi,
Today, I moved to a good computer, different USB, updated Pickit3 as P and G have suggested, apart from the MPLAB IDE part (I use Oshonsoft IDE) I tried the working PCB and all is well, then with the problematic identical PCB, on the 4431 I got errors. (Not powered)

My last post has a question, which I'd like clarified please.
If I'm right then it looks like a PCB problem.
As the PCB is powered at 3.3V and the programmer defaults to 5V could this shine a light on the problem?
C

Hi,
Today, I moved to a good computer, different USB, updated Pickit3 as P and G have suggested, apart from the MPLAB IDE part (I use Oshonsoft IDE) I tried the working PCB and all is well, then with the problematic identical PCB, on the 4431 I got errors. (Not powered)

As the PCB is powered at 3.3V and the programmer defaults to 5V could this shine a light on the problem?
C

Make sure you set the PK3 to 3.3V if powering from the PK3, if not turn the PK3 power OFF - although if it's a 5V part, and there's nothing on the PCB that's 3.3V only, it will program fine powered with 5V from the PK3.

Hi,

C
Do you have something connected to RB6, RB7 pins?

Last edited:
Hi N and J,
All of the programming pins are only for programming.

My tests have been 3.3v and 5V, there is a 3.3V peripheral, that I'll check ;later to see if it's 'popped'

I've just succesfully programmed the known good PCB, but there a powere problem with the other one, so I'll have to re-check it all.

I'm also pretty sure the laptop is not always working ok. I'm shopping for another one.
C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back