Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit 2 GUI on Win10 - A Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonSea

Most Helpful Member
I love my PICkit 2 but it refused to work on a new computer with Win10. There is a bit of information on the web, none of it very clear and concise whether this is a common problem along with some steps to try that did nothing for me.

Coccoliso on the Swordfish Basic forum came to the rescue with a re-compiled version of the PICkit 2 GUI that supports both the PICkit 2 and PICkit 3. It appears to work perfectly on my Win10 computer. You can find his revised version here. Before anybody gets upset about copyright issues, the GUI does allow for modification of the software:

You may use, copy, modify and distribute the Software for use with Microchip
products only. If you distribute the Software or its derivatives, the Software
must have this entire copyright and disclaimer notice prominently posted in a
location where end users will see it (e.g., installation program, program
headers, About Box, etc.)....
Hope this helps people out.

Great idea but "no joy" here on my Windows 7 laptop...

PICKIT GUI.png

The standard PICkit 2 GUI runs perfectly on my Win7 machine. I haven't tried this modified version on that PC since it works ok with the standard.

It does the same thing on my win7 x64.

It seems to be using .NET Framework,Version=v4.5.2
I haven't updated yet to try it and see if that helps.

My Win10 is 64bit, and I believe the same version of .NET.

I'll take a look at the Win7 machine and see what versions everything is - I don't recall any problems getting the standard PICkit software to run.

You do need to add the latest PICkit device file to the same directory as the modified PICkit software, and the name needs to be changed to eliminate the date in the middle. The name must be PK2DeviceFile.dat.

Last edited:
I have windows 10 and the pickit2 software runs fine on it It's a AMD E1-1200 2 cores and 64 bit OS clean install
I have net framwork 4.5 , 4.5.1 , 4.5.2, and 4.6 anf the X64 manger for Microsoft .net

Weird. It would not work for me no matter what I tried on Win10 but has always worked fine in Win7.

Searching on Google found a few complaints like mine, but I couldn't find any clear statements that it does work or does not work. I guess it's a mystery exactly what makes the difference.

My other computer is actually Win8.1, 64 bit, not Win7 as I had said above.

The standard PICkit 2 GUI has always worked with this PC without problems. I don't recall any special steps when I installed it.

I tested the revised PICkit 2/3 GUI on this computer and it also works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back