Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit 2 and bad chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

have 3 boards that fail to be programmed.
keep getting an error. Have had similar in past and just re program 2-3 times and it finally decides to play right but these three won't play right. So basically SOL??
unless there is a method to get it done?
Thank goodness I have yet to finish populating the 3 boards.

Are you trying to program in circuit?, if so what else is connected?.

It would be VERY, VERY rare to get a duff PIC.

Assuming it is in circuit, and other components are there to take current, have you tried using an external PSU rather than powering it from the PK2?, the PK2&3 can provide VERY little power and will fail if something is taking too much. One of the big advantages of the PK4 is it's much greater power capacity.

A PICkit 2 can supply 100mA, while a PICkit 3 can only supply 30mA. I've had few problems powering a circuit with a PICkit 2.

Something to know – a PICkit 2 has a strong self-preservation instinct. If you overload it, it's going to shut off power. The only way to make it play again is to disconnect the PICkit 2 from USB and close the graphical GUI and start over.

What's connected to the ICSP pins? If there's too much load or capacitance, the PICkit won't be able to change the level on those pins fast enough or at all to program the PIC. If you have a toggle switch on one of those pins, programming may work with the switch in one position but not the other.

Another, maybe, possibility is that your programmer wiring is too long.

Typically 30cm max, shorter is better.

...Plus what was said above...

Not important, curiosity only, what programmer do you use?

I have 10 boards all the same. Just three of them I can't programm. Keep getting error 0x000002
tried a different pickit 2 but still can't program.
Going to look at the boards in question and maybe a solder bridge or ??

A PICkit 2 can supply 100mA, while a PICkit 3 can only supply 30mA. I've had few problems powering a circuit with a PICkit 2.

I thought the 2 was the same as the 3, but perhaps not?.

Bit of a moot point now though, as the 2 doesn't support many modern devices - but I've still got my 2 :D

Not quite. The 100mA spec refers to the USB port. This is from pages 18/19 of Microchip's PICKit2 User's Guide:

7-3-2020 4-46-35 PM.png

Although, Microchip may have overengineered the PICKit2? I always have the PICKit2 supply power to my device under test...never a problem.

Keep getting error 0x000002
What application are you using to do the programming, and where do you see that error?

Isn't there a message to go along with it?

I have 10 boards all the same. Just three of them I can't programm. Keep getting error 0x000002
tried a different pickit 2 but still can't program.
Going to look at the boards in question and maybe a solder bridge or ??

If you are doing ICSP and you have anything on the Vpp/MCLR pin, you can un into sporadic problems. Especially if it has any capacitance. capacitance from device to device can change quite a bit so can appear to be bad chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back