Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pick and Place Robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

delta_213

We are going to build a pick and place upper-torso robot that will be attached to a biped. The robot will be tasked to go to walk towards a point,pick an object made of any material and transfer it in a nearby point.

Please help in determining the circuits needed in making a this robot, like the type of sensor to be used and other pheriperals.

Can we use the same circuit design of the brainboard of another robot, designed with a different function, to this robot?

Thanks for help..

What you propose is a very advanced project. You questions indicate that this is far too complex for your skill set.

If you used a wheeled based and specified the object to be transfered the project would be doable by a few people here.

What experianced or education do you have in electronics, computers, and computer programing.

true... walking alone is well beyond what most bots are capable of, never mind doing it on a generic "brainboard"

Walking takes complex real time interaction with many mechanical actuators as well as an extremely sensitive inner ear (accelerometer)

If you are new to robotics field, better start with manual robot than Autonomous robot. Then it will be good for you to learn mechanical platform, later you can think of sensing objectives.

THat sounds like something a Master's Thesis and in some cases PhD if you make it smart. If you're neither...stick a robotic arm on top of a wheeled base. It will be a massive challenge enough to get the arm to guide itself without a human to the object it's trying to pick up. You will probably need some kind of vision processing, like a CMU Cam or POB Bot Cam which has the processing onboard. A brainboard has no hope doing something like that on it's own.

So maybe start with a remote control arm robot on wheels and update the electronics to make it smarter when you know more.

Last edited:
I did not...Link!
GRRRR... google is showing a fair amount of links, but they are all either college wannabees calling their active leg robots dragging around the table they are mounted to monopeds, or professional society pay sites...with the exception of a youtube video of a "robot" ( the intelligence is in a PC off the assembly ) that balances on a point on the end of it's single leg.

The one that I saw was in an industry magazine but I do not remember if it was machine design, electronic design news, or one of the others that I read regularly.

Dan

Hello,

Anyone knows a book or something which talks about how pick & place machines are made? From the point of view of electronics and control.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Just go to MIT's robotics lab site. They have some amazing robots there.

Here is a link to the Locomotive group, which I think are some of the most impressive walking robots I've seen.

Robot Locomotion Group

i can help.. do you know about arduino? (if you have basic skills in programming in C you can ceratinly do it)

Yeah, I have an Arduino and also skills in C language, however I would like to get some more "theroretical/engineering" info about pick and place machines.
Something like this: YouTube - Autotronik SMT Pick & Place Machine BS683 (how these are made? areas of engineering needed? image processing, mechanics, electronics... I really would like to read about how are made)

I found very few information about them on the internet. It seems that companies are keeping well the secret! eheh

pick and place machines are a subcategory of CNC machines, and there is a lot of information about them around, including CNCzone, which is a whole forum on them, maybe those areas would be a good place to start.

Let me think. With humans weight is proportional to volume. There was this US general who, few days ago, complained that most new recruits are too fat to fight ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back