Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICAXE chip keeps heating up help!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket100

I have a picaxe o8-m chip and I was trying to program it on a prototyping breadboard using the schematic in the picture below I was using 4.5 volts.
Then after a couple of seconds it started heating up! so I figured it was wired wrong. So I made a PCB of the circuit and I know for sure that it's wired right. And it is powered by three AA batteries(4.5 volts). But for some reason it still heated up!!
So if anyone knows why its doing this please let me know!

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 154
You need to post the whole circuit wiring...and the PCB.

ken

Pcb

This is the PCB the yellow wires are jumpers. And I took the led off.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 133
What are the other chips...or are these empty sockets? Have you tried programing the PICAXE on the breadboard with just the minimum...+4.5, Gnd, and two-resistor serial circuit?

Ken

I haven't gone over the layout yet...but...a possibility is that you have blown the chip sometime during your original setup. These are CMOS chips and don't like static when handled...or momentary reverse polarities.

ken

Nothing there makes much sense, and it's nothing like a proper diagram.

But (from what I can see) there's no series resistor for the LED. Apart from that, the most popular reason for a PIC getting hot is that you've plugged it in the wrong way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back