Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18F26J11, temp sensor,I2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkovic

Hi!

I'm having some troubles with the I2C communication between my MCU and my temperature sensor.

Sensor
http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/DATASHEET/CD00153511.pdf

MCU
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39932b.pdf

Link to mikroe and the function definitions.
**broken link removed**

Code:
void main() 
{

double temp;
 TRISA.B0=0;
 TRISA.B1=0;
 TRISC=0xFF; //outputs for i2c
 ANCON0=0xFF;
 I2C1_Init(100000);

while(1) 
{

I2C1_Start();            
         I2C1_Wr(0b10010010); //controll code + adress + r/w = 0
         I2C1_Wr(0b00000011); //point to temperature reg

I2C1_Repeated_Start();
         I2C1_Wr(0b10010011); //controll code + adress + r/w = 1

take1 = I2C1_Rd(1); //ACK
         take2 = I2C1_Rd(0); //NACK

I2C1_Stop();

LATA.B0 = ~LATA.B0; //just to see if it hangs or not
         delay_ms(500);

}
}

I've tested so that I can write successfully to the sensor. But the problem is when I used I2C1_Rd, the MCU just hangs when I do that.

Any suggestions to what might cause these problems?

I2C1_Wr(0b00000011); //point to temperature reg

Should be

I2C1_Wr(0b00000000); //point to temperature reg

0b00000011 is another register. Still did not work to read from it though :(

How do you know the writing works?..... I read the data sheet as slave address 0x90 and 0x91.... Have you set A0, A1 and A3 to 0v?

If you are reading from the wrong address you'll never get to reading byte two. as the temp sensor is waiting for a stop.

Thanks for your reply Ian.

I'm quite convinced that the writing is working since the writing returns a 0 (no errors) for every adress I've tried but [A2:A0] = 001. So A2 and A1 is grounded while A0 is kept high.

So in my case my 8-bit adress, incl the r/w-bit, is 0x92 (writing) and 0x93(reading).

I was thinking it might be problem with the init, but I'm not exactly sure how it works. I'm also going to try if I can successfully write to the configuration register today. If that does not work, the sensor must be fried or something...

I can also add the the SCL and SDA lines are working since on the same PCB I've an EEPROM which works.

Check your speed.... EEPROM's work a 400khz (normally) but sensors may work at 100khz only... secondly what value resistors have you used for SDA and SCK lines....I use two devices and set them to 4k7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back