Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18F1320 Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterboy550

I found this project online and would like to duplicate it.

I'm a total beginner when it comes to micro-controllers. However I do have extensive computer knowledge and coding skills. I have downloaded and istalled MPLAB IDE v8.43 and started a new project and chose the MPASM assembler as it was already selected. I know this is a different assembler than the one used on the website (that one costs $200), but is this a good assembler? I have imported the 18F1320TEMP.asm file into the project and am now attempting to change the source code to work with my assembler. Am I on the right track here? Any help would be appreciated.

MPLAB is the assembler from microchip itself so as far as i am concerned its the best one there is for pics(its free too). You should first get familiar with micro controllers.Blink an LED first,that makes things much better then move on to other stuff.Since you say you do know computers i think it wouldnt be that hard for you.

Unless you want to change the code, you could just load the into the PIC.

Is it a must that I include the 18F1320TEMP.asm file in my project? I've noticed that if I remove that file and only include the .c file from the website when I compile there is an error saying no source files (the .c file is in the "other files" folder on the project directory). I am very familiar with coding in C and would like to do this. I'm not very comfortable adding code to the 18F1320TEMP.asm file because I don't understand the syntax. Is this possible?

Hi, where is 18f1320temp.asm. The only source files i see is

Also the Hex file as Kchriste pointed out is present.As far as your statement of their compiler being very expensive...why dont you download it and use it for 30 days.The demo will run for 30 days and since you only want to get this project done then it will do.

Ok just downloaded MPLAB C compiler and started a project with it. Now I can add the C file to the source folder. The only thing I have a question about is the code has an include line to start it (#include <18F1320.h>
). I noticed all PIC code seems to. Why does you need this include line and where can I get the file? When I try and compile now I get an error saying can't find 18F1320.h. I understand that this file need to be included in the project, but I don't know where to find it.

Which "MPLAB C compiler" did you download? You'll need to download the "CCS PCH compiler" demo to compile the file. If you downloaded C18, it may not work because the code relies heavily on the built in serial routines of the CCS PCH compiler. The equivalent file for C18 is called p18f1320.h, but you'll most likely get errors if you try to compile the code with C18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back