PIC16F877 prgrammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanoflash4

Can anyone suggest what is the best programmer for PIC16F877? I am not good in prgramming that's why I am looking for a software that has similar language with visual C++. I am kinda new with microcontrollers and I wanted to use this PIC as an ADC with 3 inputs.

Also, can i get the software for free?

Thank You very much!!!

I would suggest an ICD2 clone, like the Inchworm or Inchworm+ (search on here for them). C++ and Visual languages don't really have any place with microcontrollers, and C compilers are expensive - although most provide limited demo versions. Assembler is free though, and my tutorials show pretty well what you want.

If you want to use C, I would suggest moving to the higher spec 18F series, where they provide a free C compiler, although if you pay for it you get better optimisation.

There is also the free HiTech C compiler for the 16F series pics.

Mike.

A good programmer supports majority of PICS & DEBUGGING features & some are programming voltages controllable & full support from the external power supply.

Before I build a good PIC programmer this is what I had in the first time. It’s called micro JDM programmer. Only take 5 mins to build. For 877 it worked fine. It depends upon the serial port voltages & also note that in some laptops it won’t work but in most desktop PC’s it worked.

**broken link removed**

rukshankb said:
What is the best programmer for pic16f877a. i need a circuit diagram.
Google it. Lots of results.
http://www.hamradioindia.org/circuits/feng.php
**broken link removed**

Those are simple programmers but very easy to build. On my site are two more advanced programmer / debuggers for the PIC. As Nigel mentioned one is the Inchworm which is an ICD2 compatible and RS232 based and the new one Junebug is a USB based PICkit 2 compatible. Both support MPLAB (Microchips all in one development environment). The "catch" is you need a preprogrammed PIC to use either of them.
The dirt simple programmer from Lothar Stolz's site could be used to get the firmware loaded initially.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I looked at the JDM programmer and it will only work with RS232 ports with at least a +/- 12V swing. This is only common on PCs with internal RS232 ports. This is a HVP programmer design, the Stolz simple version is a LVP design, not all PICs support LVP and it has limited usefulness.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I mean .. this circuit for Pic16f84a ......... so what are the pins which are used in pic 16f877 in this circuit?

rukshankb said:
I mean .. this circuit for Pic16f84a ......... so what are the pins which are used in pic 16f877 in this circuit?

RB6 & RB7 + MCLR, it's in the 16F877 datasheet usually on page 2. Usually pin 1, 39 & 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…