Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F877 prgrammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanoflash4

Can anyone suggest what is the best programmer for PIC16F877? I am not good in prgramming that's why I am looking for a software that has similar language with visual C++. I am kinda new with microcontrollers and I wanted to use this PIC as an ADC with 3 inputs.

Also, can i get the software for free? :D

Thank You very much!!!

I would suggest an ICD2 clone, like the Inchworm or Inchworm+ (search on here for them). C++ and Visual languages don't really have any place with microcontrollers, and C compilers are expensive - although most provide limited demo versions. Assembler is free though, and my tutorials show pretty well what you want.

If you want to use C, I would suggest moving to the higher spec 18F series, where they provide a free C compiler, although if you pay for it you get better optimisation.

<==== Raising hand to vouch for PICKit2 programmer.

A good programmer supports majority of PICS & DEBUGGING features & some are programming voltages controllable & full support from the external power supply.

Before I build a good PIC programmer this is what I had in the first time. It’s called micro JDM programmer. Only take 5 mins to build. For 877 it worked fine. It depends upon the serial port voltages & also note that in some laptops it won’t work but in most desktop PC’s it worked.

**broken link removed**

rukshankb said:
What is the best programmer for pic16f877a. i need a circuit diagram.
Google it. Lots of results.
http://www.hamradioindia.org/circuits/feng.php
**broken link removed**

Those are simple programmers but very easy to build. On my site are two more advanced programmer / debuggers for the PIC. As Nigel mentioned one is the Inchworm which is an ICD2 compatible and RS232 based and the new one Junebug is a USB based PICkit 2 compatible. Both support MPLAB (Microchips all in one development environment). The "catch" is you need a preprogrammed PIC to use either of them.
The dirt simple programmer from Lothar Stolz's site could be used to get the firmware loaded initially.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I looked at the JDM programmer and it will only work with RS232 ports with at least a +/- 12V swing. This is only common on PCs with internal RS232 ports. This is a HVP programmer design, the Stolz simple version is a LVP design, not all PICs support LVP and it has limited usefulness.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
rukshankb said:
I mean .. this circuit for Pic16f84a ......... so what are the pins which are used in pic 16f877 in this circuit?

RB6 & RB7 + MCLR, it's in the 16F877 datasheet usually on page 2. Usually pin 1, 39 & 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back