Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic Vs Basic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I get this? Does it put out 1000ma per USB jack? I often run 2 development boards all the time... this is quite the solution.

I've found several single jack versions on ebay for cheap. The single jack 1000ma sell retail for only $9 and yes they are really handy.

The BS2 is like the retarded long lost cousin of the PIC:
**broken link removed**

The BS2 is a 12F Series Chip with slower operation:
**broken link removed**

A PIC is the way to go, and MUCH cheaper!

PIC $2-$10
BS2 $50-$75

Haha, yeah you can get a PIC programmer for the price of a BASIC...I think the PICAXE is much better than a BASIC but I've never used either.

Which would be good for a beginner but also has a lot of potential and functionality?

Definitely PicKit2. This little chipmunk can do everything ICD2 can (the H/W is there, Microchip is still catching up with S/W).

The reason for way lower pricing is not inferiority to ICD2, but rather the better design and level of integration.

This seems to be the case with most of microcontroller tools these days, when just few years ago one had to spend hundreds if not thousands for a toolchain, they come for $49 or $99 from most microcontroller vendors. I recommend to start with PIC24/dsPIC, they are good for beginner and have lot of potential and functionality, although it's still easier to find projects using PIC12-PIC18.

If you do not want to limit yourself to PICs, have a look at Atmel AVR, Parallax Propeller, or even ARM chips (Luminary, Atmel, NXP and zillion other vendors).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back