Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC vs. 8052... PIC IT IS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve P

Ok. So you guys (Jay) have talked me into using a PIC, which makes sense to me. I like the tutorials and I like being able to ask you guys questions cause I'd be S.O.L. without you. :)
(Thanks again by the way!)

Jay.slovak said:
I just want to say, that PICs and 8052s are a totally different families of microcontrollers. PIC was designed to be cheap, fast and requires minimal external components, whereas 8052 (original version) is a very different MCU, which requires much more external components and is more expensive. PICs have also advantage of great support from forums like this, Microchips sample system and their websites resources...
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/inpout-dll-and-visual-c.17674/

So, here's my NEW delima. Per the beginner's sticky note, I've decided to build my project around a 16F877 (40 pin). I'm not sure just yet if 40 pins is too many, but I'm pretty sure it'll be enough. I'm on the Microchip website, and I'm not sure as to what all these variations are.
**broken link removed**

What do all the suffix's mean? (eg. PIC16F877-04/P, PIC16F877-04E/P, etc)

Hmm cool topic :eek:

This is simple (eg. PIC16F877-04/P, PIC16F877-04E/P, etc)

-04 stands for 4Mhz max frequency
E Extended temperature rating (highest)
I Industrial temperature rating (medium)
none Normal temperature rating (lowest)

/P Package-PDIP
/SP Skinny PDIP
/SO SMD Small outline

16F877A is a good chip for experimenting.

cool. 8)
Thanks Jay.

This is way more interesting... ahh well...back to financial analysis.
This could well be a symptom of "the grass looks greener on the other side of the hill" syndrome (grin)...

Have fun... We all hope this will be a wonderful and exciting new adventure for you...

Regards, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back