Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC VPP 13v how much current?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike said:
Please pick one; (A) No real standards I'm aware of. Or, (B) Everyone has their own standard (grin).

I used a pinout that matches the melabs serial and usb programmers so that I could use my melabs programming adapter board.

You could always use an RJ14 connector for an ICD2 compatible ICSP interface.

BTW, did you happen to notice that a VPP voltage of 12v seems to cover more PIC devices than a VPP voltage of 13v?

I chose mine to match the ICD2 adapter cable & the ICD2 clone on ebay (not a good clone; uses the 16F877A so needs a modded bootloader)

I think 13v is so popular because of the 0.7v drop across a typical VPP transistor. 12.3v VPP, and it even works with the 18F series.

William At MyBlueRoom said:
I chose mine to match the ICD2 adapter cable & the ICD2 clone on ebay (not a good clone; uses the 16F877A so needs a modded bootloader)

I think 13v is so popular because of the 0.7v drop across a typical VPP transistor. 12.3v VPP, and it even works with the 18F series.
Not an issue with MOSFET drivers, but an understandable design consideration (bibolar transistors are much cheaper than P-channel MOSFETs).

Last edited:
Mike said:
BTW, did you happen to notice that a VPP voltage of 12v seems to cover more PIC devices than a VPP voltage of 13v?

The reason for the almost universal use of 13V was basically to ensure the devices got switched to programing mode - the spec (back in the old days) called for 12V, but if it was only 11.9V it might not work, far easier to aim for 13V and gain reliability.

Great, that's easy. I can get 1 to 2 ma without effort.

I think your schematic have a problem.

Voltage from pin which you use on MAX232 is 8.6V, you use 2 elec-caps and 2 diodes. Vpp generated by that circuit is about 16V - Its too high.
You can use a regulator such as LM317, (resistor: 1K and 220 on ADJ) to generate 13V.

Last edited:
VPP
VDD
GND
PGD
PGC

Microchip ICD2 is like this ! Other manufacture such as Olimex use this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back