Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC soldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorGuy

I received my 16F628A I/SO in the mail today. Any tips on how to solder pins that are about .020" apart from each other? :lol:

Sort of a mistake. But I need to learn them anyways. I might end up liking them. I have had to change my PCB though. Thank goodness there are just a few items to change. :lol: Thank you for the links on the soldering.

SOIC packages aren't that difficult to hand solder. They're 0.05", not 0.02". Half the width of PDIP (0.1") isn't that bad. You just need a fine tip. I'm a beginner at soldering SMD and I haven't soldered-bridged any SOICs.

SSOP, however....Ugh.

Mike

upand_at_them said:
SOIC packages aren't that difficult to hand solder. They're 0.05", not 0.02". Half the width of PDIP (0.1") isn't that bad. You just need a fine tip. I'm a beginner at soldering SMD and I haven't soldered-bridged any SOICs.

Yes, it's easy to do - it's not particularly small, a nice fine bit and you can easily solder one pin at a time. Once you get down to 0.02" it gets a bit more tricky! - but in both cases brushing along the pins with liquid flux helps a LOT!.

Thank you JFDuval. However my French is a little rusty. I might be able to translate it it though.

yup, soldering SMT is easy. btw, im soldering SMT's using knife type soldering tip with broad tips. im not convenient with pointed tips. and i find knife type tips very easy to use rather than pointed tips.

Don't they have a DIP version available?

DIP versions are easy to solder. All you do is put it on the board, bend the leads, and it will co-operate with you while you solder each lead.

Yeah I needed the PDIP version but was crusing the order form too quick. Not that big of a deal. They are only <>$3.

Well GatorGuy, if you're also having trouble prototyping, they have parts called surfboards that will let you plug your PIC into a standard breadboard. It's sort of a like an SMT -> DIP adapter, the only hitch is that you still have to SMT solder and that has "nightmare" written all over it. (See my "Why won't my solder..." thread)

Haha, I got my FIRST ever PIC programming kit (Velleman K8048) 2 days ago. I was SO desperate to get it all soldered together and working, i bought a cheap/nasty souldering iron, and plumbers solder!!! It's like 7mm thick! Managed to soulder everything (278 solder points, according the manual its only for experienced solder-ers), and it all works!

God knows how, maybe I'll take a picture of the solder-side of my PCB for you to laugh at.

It's awful! (But works!).

Blueprint.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Yes, it's easy to do - it's not particularly small, a nice fine bit and you can easily solder one pin at a time. Once you get down to 0.02" it gets a bit more tricky! - but in both cases brushing along the pins with liquid flux helps a LOT!.

one of my professors told me to use liquid flux when soldering SMT stuff... that was probably the BEST advice on soldering i ever got. It moves the component into the correct place... saves alot of trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back