Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC sequential variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

Hi folks
I having a go a double dabble (or it's reverse) to convert an 8 digit unpacked BCD to binary. Rather than assign a variable name to each digit, I think I can do this:
If I use
Code:
digits idata
    digit db 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

myprog code
end
I think I can loop through each digit by incrementing fsr and accessing indf, but how do I address the first (or any other, for that matter) digit?
Also, if I use
Code:
output res 4    ; it needs to end up a 32bit word, whatever
can I rrf my way through "output" instead of having 4 variable names to manage?

Many thanks :)

Both should work. However, decide first whether you're using big or little endian. I prefer little endian - I.E lowest byte stored first.
You can then do,
Code:
    rrf  output+3,f    ;shift msbyte
    rrf  output+2,f    ;shift next byte
    rrf  output+2,f    ;shift next byte
    rrf  output,f    ;shift lsbyte
Edit, you probably want to clear the carry before the shifts.

I used double dabble a few years ago but wrote it in C.

Mike.

That's great, thanks Mike.
It occurred to me after I posted the question, I need to change individual digits of the BCD input (which comes from a keypad). Do I use the same notation? eg digit+1, digit+2 etc?

Now I get
Code:
 Illegal directive (IDATA)
And yet it's perfectly happy with udata :(
Wahhhhhh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back