Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC samples?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantto

Hello, I have heard many times that you can get samples of PICs. Is this true? Sounds to good to be true I think. Why would they give their product away for free? But if this is true, then how do one get these free samples? Is there any catch of some sort? or other payments (like postal).

Thx, Hantto :)

How are they shipped? Al the way to the door or to the neares post office?

And do they deliver to private persons like me? or only to companies?

They are shipped to your private adress. I've succeeded in obtaining samples so...

In the past I've ordered samples from various companies, including MicroChip - and never received a single one :(

I've always suspected that they are only interested in providing free samples in the USA.

However, since MicroChip introduced their new web based sample service, it's worked absolutely brilliantly - arrives nice and fast every time. The first time I ordered they were dispatched from Thailand via DHL, and you could track them on the DHL website - which was really cool!. Since then they seem to be sent by post from within the UK, nice and fast - but not as much fun :lol:

Received mine within a week at my private adress (In the Netherlands).

GREAT service. They even send you their more expensive ones 16f876 and the likes.

EJK

That internet order service doesn't work for Australia. It was 3 months ago... then people started grabbin' chips even though they didn't need them. So Microchip pulled the plug on Australia because people were abusing the service.

Now genuine users have to suffer... :evil:

Hello again! I received my pics now! :) This sample system works flawlessy. It took about two weeks to get them, not bad, I expected someting like a moth or so.

Just reporting, bye bye!

Quiky on the subject but they still charge for shipping and handling correct, just making sure?

Samples

Dallas/Maxim also has an awsome sample service. I've received RTC's' ADC's and Max232 chips from them. Limit is 2 each I think.
Fairchild and National Semiconductor also do samples but are more restrictive in who they send to. You may need a company E-mail address. A University address might work as well.

Most suppliers provide free samples. When they do, they don't charge shipping.

Each has its own scheme to limit how much you can exploit it, and they usually don't state it up front so people don't plan on maxing it out from the start. I've seen where it appears they limited it to "x" devices per 3 months or so.

I'm bummed right now because I want to try the PIC18F4620 and Microchip does't supply samples of them. I have no idea why not.

do you know about other compenies that provide samples?

i think we should make a list of manufacturers who give samples and make it sticky on the projects/reviews section.

there the members of the board could tell their experiences with each manufacturer. like how many days it took for the sample to reach XYZ country. how was the package. etc

most of the manufacturers provide free samples but, with a few exceptions some dont provide samples to everyone.

ive ordered samples from both Maxim/Dallas and Microchip. in my experience ive found Maxim to be better than Microchip. i ordered 6 chips from maxim and it took about 4 days to reach england (btw i live in pakistan) and it took about 10 days for a single 16LF628 to reach the same address. the 628 came in a tube packing and no bubbles. but it was accompanied by a little bit of literature. the maxim samples came in cute little plastic boxes wrapped in bubbles.

ive heard that TI is the best in supplying free samples and if you are living in USA it takes only one day for samples from TI to reach your house. and they dont mind how many samples u request. i have yet to see if thats true or not.

the rest of the manufacturers either have a samples page that is totally unreachable even after 5 mins of surfing their website or if u do find their samples page the samples take ages to be delivered.

plz share your experiences too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back