Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI again, had a new question, will the dos pic84pgm.zip software (on this page 4th down http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/6437/files.html) work with the 16f628?

About the 628, I was looking to buy 2 from microchip but a PIC16F628-04/P pops up, is this the same?

One more thing, if I'm programming a pic with a sparkfun programmer in dos, do I plug the programmer in before the computer starts?

The 16F628-04 is a 4MHz max speed device, should be fine for experimenting. Suprised they still sell it.
As for the Sparkfun programmer you'll have to ask them, but it shouldn't make any difference as long as it's got power before you run its software.

blueroomelectronics said:
The 16F628-04 is a 4MHz max speed device, should be fine for experimenting. Suprised they still sell it.

In theory! - there's no way they make seperate chips for different speeds, and no way a 20MHz chip will only work at 4MHz. I've never seen, and never heard of, a 4MHz 628 that doesn't work perfectly well at 20MHz.

I suspect they just take a batch of normal 20MHz devices and label them as 4MHz - it's purely a sales ploy!.

I don't see a problem with that personally. I mean, isn't that what they do for temperature ratings too in many cases?

Otherwise you end up paying less for a chip that may or may not run at the speed you want it to.

dknguyen said:
I don't see a problem with that personally. I mean, isn't that what they do for temperature ratings too in many cases?

Otherwise you end up paying less for a chip that may or may not run at the speed you want it to.

True, and better than throwing out the slow one.

wmmullaney said:
I mean will it take a .hex file and burn it to a pic.

Will the all 16c84 dos software program the 16f628?

But it's not that much different, and I would expect any software to probably cover the 628 as well - even DOS software - unless it's never been updated at all? (from like 15 years ago?).

wmmullaney said:
I understand that, what I am asking is if I gave the programmer on the above link 16f628 code would it recognize the pic and burn correctly?

Programmers don't 'recognise code' at all, you simply need programmer software that supports the chip you want, on the hardware you have. The 16F84 and 16F628 use identical programmer hardware though, and only slight software differences. If you don't use the correct programmer software, set to use the correct target chip, it won't work.

wmmullaney said:
Thank you, I know it has been asked many times before, but were can I get winxp drivers?

You probably can't, but why would you want to use DOS software if you're running XP?.

Will a laptop with a 8v serial port work with the cheap sparkfun programmer?

Generally laptops don't work on cheap serial programmers.

Ok, the reason I wanted the dos version is I have a very old laptop, windows 3.11 and dos 6. I didn't want to accidentally mess up the new one but since you said laptops won't work I'm not sure what to do. My desktop is a Macintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back