Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmmullaney

Hello again, i was looking at this pic PIC16F628, is there a compatible pic that has an internal oscillator? I was looking at this programmer, is the serial connection male or female?

(R1 is 2.2k)

Attachments

• pic-pr6.gif
    pic-pr6.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 198
wmmullaney said:
Hello again, i was looking at this pic PIC16F628, is there a compatible pic that has an internal oscillator?

The 16F628 has an internal oscillator, that's why I chose it for my tutorials, plus it was the replacement for the popular old 16F84.

Your programmer will give you trouble in a small variation on your comport voltages & in your supply.In your programmers it needs external 5V.If the voltage exactly 5V you don't need the resister.Most JDM type uses 5.1 zenners.

Try making the JDM programmer here is the simple version of that working well.
No need external supply.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
wmmullaney said:
Ok, I'v seen the uJDM, kinda wanted something simpler just to start, after that I want to get a JDM programmer from Sparkfun.

The JDM is really too simple to be reliable, and is fussy about the particular machine it's connected to.

Define "compatible" ? It's not the same part, but check the datasheets for pinout compatibility.

wmmullaney said:
Is the PIC16F628 compatible with the PIC16f84?

It replaced it last century, the 84 has effectively been obselete for a LONG time now. The 628 is cheaper, higher spec, and pin compatible with the 84, requiring only extremely minor changes to the source code to run.

On the "simplest programmer in the world" what does he mean when he says vdd not to be pulled higher than .5v?

Jens Dyekjær Madsen said:
In fact, the clamp diodes to Vdd is not diodes, but transistors, and about 80% of the current flows into ground. Because of this, are Vdd not to be pulled higher than Vdd+0.5V, even all the inputs pulls high.

Does this mean R is needed? even if the 5v is regulated?

You really need to get an assortment of resistors, if you're this limited with the hardware available why don't you simply use the free simulator that comes with MPLAB?

You could try the trivial programmer as seen on Lothar Stolz's site for programming his ICD2 design. It uses the IC-Prog software http://www.ic-prog.com/
Don't forget you'll need to add the 0.1uf caps across the power pins, a 22K resistor from MCLR to VDD (5V) and an oscillator for most of the older PICs like the 16F877A
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back