Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC or ATMEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krumlink said:
Do you Really need to try something different when you already got all the resources for pic?

Its like you have a billion dollars invested in Product A. Everybody knows and loves Product A. Why change when you know that they are going to keep loving product a (lol coke cola)

Many people are willing and capable of working on a diversity of projects. All it is is another architecture, nothing more nothing less. Anyways, the AVR architecture is simplistic, the transition between the two is nothing more than remembering what registers to use and looking up different mnemonics.

AtomSoft said:
Ok why is everyone basically assuming i am stupid or something? I know its difficult to learn more than 1 at a time and thats why i want to i like challenges as stated many times before. I love pic and im not "SWITCHING" i love my junebug and will get more from bill soon...

Nobody assumed or said you are stupid, why say that.

Everyone has there own ways. Im not like everyone i dont live in the same places like everyone. I love coca cola.. But pepsi is my first choice. I also love grape ... anything grape and banana.. if there wasnt variety and a option to have it all at once then i wouldnt be in this field.

*Sigh*

Im no expert but being a expert is never a qualification to try something else new as 3v0 says.... I dont have to know 1 thing in this case to start another. Its like learning VB then C++ there is not much gain from knowing VB then switching to c++ ..... Just APIs and small things no biggie..

Krumlink... you said:
"Do you Really need to try something different when you already got all the resources for pic?"

my answer is hell yes... since i have all i need for now on pics. i can compare with i might need with avrs... I can make a conclusion on what i prefer and focus more on it than another.... As i know there is no Junebug for AVRs what if im the guy to make it?

WHY??? You have just started with PICS and now you want to do AVR.

Ill be Jay for JuneAVRs and Bill will be well..... Bill for JuneBugs.. why not have more than 1? I would not want to live in a place where i have only 1 choice or am expecting to make choices based on popularity....

Money? Do you have lots of money to buy parts for individual things?

I love sweat pants and im a electrician and i wear sweats to work and have no problem.... no one can say a thing because its my choice and as long as the job gets done its NP.

I dont get this paragraph...

donniedj ...

I kind of agree but... i mean this .. but... A kit is whats going to also sell something. Just because something is FAST and what i would call the SHI** doesnt mean im going to understand it at all and therefor not even want it.

So why start with AVR when you already have experience with PICS

I want a kit mostly because a kit comes with valuable information and examples to get started on new things and thats what i look for when buying something.

Makes sense...

Even PICs ... i go online and if i see a pic i seem to like i google it to see what info is available on it besides a normal datasheet. This is done so i know i wont waste to much time trying to understand something. If the info is there .. even if its a small amount i will get it just because its POSSIBLE!..

So why start with AVR? PIC's have a much larger use, and YOU ARE ALREADY XP with Pic

futz.... you rock!

Anyone know good tutorials on routing in Eagle? Im trying my best not to do to many vias but ahh... And vias seem to be on the part not the actual board...

Lol eh, not many people like Eagle even when they know it really good (Dknuygen)

What seems to be the problem?

The title of this thread should be something other then "PIC or AVR". That indicates one or the other. Had you used a more fitting title you have have saved some grief.

AtomSoft said:
Ok why is everyone basically assuming i am stupid or something?
Never give anyone that sort of opening :p

Your Original Post said:
I was thinking about also jumping into ATMEL.

I know this wouldnt be a smart idea since im new to pic and might get them mixed up but ATMEL looks very interesting.
You knew up front that it was an iffy idea for a beginner.

As Salgat pointed out you will learn little of value by including the AVR. You will learn the GUI and it quirks, how to use the other tools. Most everything else you can learn on a PIC or an AVR. Given that you are already using PICs there is no good reason to take up the AVR unless you intend to switch. The tool chain specific skills go out of date faster then most any other uC skill.

When you are ready, you can find variety by moving to the advanced PICs. All the spice you want and no need to learn another tool chain.

You will have a hard time finding a person teaching the subject, who thinks adding AVRs at this time would be the way to go.

I can only speak for myself, I do not think you are stupid.

EDIT: Learning a computer language other then ASM would be a good thing.

In regards to Eagle. Use the tutorials you find online. When you have a problem post it here and we can get you unstuck. A lot of us learned that way. As much as I like Eagle it takes getting used to.

Last edited:
AtomSoft said:
Ok why is everyone basically assuming i am stupid or something?

Well, I think you are not aware of the fact that most of the great guys hanging out here are using PICs. Its the same situation in AvrFreaks.net where most of the guys there are using AVRs.

You have committed the cardinal sin of provoking people which have a strong special interest towards a particular product and you definitely got their reactions. Likewise if you post a message with title "PIC or ATMEL" in the AvrFreaks.net you will get the very same response. I'm not a bit surprised.

I started with PIC and I use AVR too, but I have never ask the "PIC or AVR" question in the forum.

Lol i guess i should have known this would happen tho but... as i said before i just wanted opinions not people trying to tell me what i not capable of doing.

Anyway i have made my decision to of course stay with PIC while having a affair with AVRs.

futz said:
Limiting yourself to just one MCU type is just that - limiting. Try em all. See what they're like. Why not?

Off topic:
Very true. Wish schools and businesses would have this sentiment for the m$ universe.

Last edited:
AtomSoft said:
I was thinking about also jumping into ATMEL.

I know this wouldnt be a smart idea since im new to pic and might get them mixed up but ATMEL looks very interesting.

The Atmel AVR® STK500 is only $90 and looks like a nice starter kit.

Any Thoughts?

The PICkit2 cost about $35. It provide both program and debug capability.
Now it even has "program-to-go, programming without a PC" feature and can work as a logic tool.

I use and have used both for commercial and pet projects. The PIC is vastly supported. The AVR has a free and very powerful C compiler. I am currently developing an AVR32 application. I like to use the GNU toolchain because I can develop and test my code on a linux or windows machine and even use GCC tricks and not have to worry about whether the AVR compiler will take them. It just isn't practical to develop large applications in ASM anymore so the value of the toolchain should certainly be a consideration if you expect your applications to have a significant code base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back