Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC embedded webserver project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I'm sure I'll take you up on the offer.

I want my version to have 6 relays and 4 opto inputs & RS485 (not 232)

HVAC & Home Automation is the plan.

nurick said:
checked the link. I think grad forgot to put the link before =P. Its amazing! Thanks man u rock!

Well, you`ve just red my reply to soon :) I indeed forgot to put the link in.
This design is simple, cheap and very low-power. It`s good for a one-time application but lacks some versatility. An implementation of an external EEPROM would greatly enhance this design. Just see it as a jumpstart for all the applications you will design and publish here :D, and you`re welcome...

@ezuk: both. I find working with legacy devices more practical since they are supposed to be: cheap, standardized, fully developed, and i expect to see alot of projects using these devices which allows me to gather as much information as i want. Im also in it for the experience, since like what ive said before im a newbie with microchips and electronics. I also think that learning to code the TCP/IP stack would bring me closer to make my own embedded devices with networking capability.

@gradtje: yes, infact, we are planning to interface an external memory device, albeit not an EEPROM, but an MMC card (larger memory but somewhat slower) connected via SPI protocols. This is why we prefer to use the 18f45j10.

nurick said:
yes, infact, we are planning to interface an external memory device, albeit not an EEPROM, but an MMC card (larger memory but somewhat slower) connected via SPI protocols. This is why we prefer to use the 18f45j10.

If you are planning to use SD/MMC with FAT, you may want to consider a MCU with more RAM, SD/MMC requires block/sector read/writes of 512Bytes, and you most probably will like to have some FAT structures in memory, then with the PIC18F45J10 you may run short with 1024 Bytes.

Andrew Smallridge from Brush Electronics put together a nice set of SD/MMC drivers and file system routines for PIC, www.brushelectronics.com/, take a look that may save you some coding time.

My .02

@jampodio: you .02 is worth a million bucks! thanks for the link. Currently i have no idea how much ram we do actually need, but i think your right about how few 1024 bytes is. Thanks for the heads up!

hello again guys, my project development has been put to a crawl. I've been analyzing the drivers from open-source codes but have no real luck into successfully making one (in c preferably). I believe that i must dig deeper if i were to fully understand how the NIC would work. Im trying to dig up datasheets for the chipsets of these NIC's but no luck as to where i can find one.

I have two 3c509b NIC's here with me, but unfortunately, it seems both devices use different chipsets. One was using LUCENT 40-0316-000 while the other one: Parallel 40-0411-001. I think i may have a better chance in understanding how these things actually work if i obtain the datasheets of these.

Really need help here, and thanks for the feedback in advanced guys!

@eblc: I tried checking the datasheet of the RTL8019AS, it seems this NIC also had some technical data about its own chipset which i would need. I think the solution to my problems is found with the datasheet of the chipsets of the NICs im using.

nurick said:
@eblc: I tried checking the datasheet of the RTL8019AS, it seems this NIC also had some technical data about its own chipset which i would need. I think the solution to my problems is found with the datasheet of the chipsets of the NICs im using.

No additional chipset is needed for the RTL8019AS to interface it to a MCU. That's why it is so popular for embedded design. On a real network card, there is a 93C46 EEPROM which stores the card's MAC and user config. data but in case of a embedded application, these data can be stored inside the MCU and send to the RTL8019AS upon initialization. So no extra EEPROM needed.

@eblc: Yes you are right. Seems that we need to change NICs to the realtek one since I cant find any datasheet about the chipset the 3c509b is using. Again, thanks for the expert advice, you're a real lifesaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back