Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic compiling/programming questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onboard PLL's not withstanding, I was only referring to what was actually in discrete parts ON the breadboard, black box PLL's don't count =)

Have you tried it I have used a 20mhz crystal on bread boards works fine
Is I/sp good? or i can only use I/p on breadboards?
Just make sure you get a pic that can use a socket like a p-dip that's what the p stands for. A sp will fit a socket.
What you have to watch out for on the bread boards is capacitance of the board can load it down so use a smaller capacitor.I have also put a ground wire on the case to make them work but they did work.

Last edited:
Just to show you what I'm talking about you can see no capacitors on the crystal the ground pin is next to it so just the boards capacitance is all its getting and it works 20 mhz the chip is a 18f452 has to have a crystal to work. [embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/IOHFCV6S-rE&hl=en&fs=1[/embed]

Last edited:
That is exactly what I'm talking about be8. That crystal works fine on the breadboard, move it to a point to point wired or PCB layout and it will cease to function as the parasitic capacitance of the breadboard isn't there to act as a load for the crystal. It MAY work on a wired board but only with some prodding, or at specific voltages/temperatures and it will start better/run more stable with proper load capacitance.

The exact parasitic capacitance/inductance between any given leg/row of a breadboard is almost never specifically stated so it is an unknown. This is not something you should leave up to chance when you're talking about basic oscillator functionality. It is most definitely something anyone working on solderless breadboard should at least be aware of.

Last edited:
The schematic of propic2 on ic-prog website is using bd9 port(wich is serial), while on other website it's a db25 port parralel port? will both work? i mean parralel and serial.
Whats the point of the schematic of propic2 on ic-prog website? they dont give any value of components...

Last edited:
I've just seen that we can configure winpic800 with either lpt(parallel) and comm (serial)on propic2. But now can someone tell me why they talk about propic2 but there are no schematic easely availible? Is propic2 a clone of a commercial product?
**broken link removed**
On many websites they tell to go to this link...

what is a computer port voltage? 5 volts?

Last edited:
I've just seen that we can configure winpic800 with either lpt(parallel) and comm (serial)on propic2. But now can someone tell me why they talk about propic2 but there are no schematic easely availible? Is propic2 a clone of a commercial product?
**broken link removed**
On many websites they tell to go to this link...

what is a computer port voltage? 5 volts?

I had never heard of a propic2 until you posted the link. Since it uses a 7407 and pnp switching transistors like a Tait parallel port programmer, I would recommend building the classic Tait.

**broken link removed**

Use can use many different software packages with it, for example the package written by Nigel.

Parallel ports use TTL levels. Serial ports can have various levels. There is an official RS232 standard, but many recent PCs don't conform to the standard.

**broken link removed**

I use 20MHz crystals all the time on breadboards and have never had any problems.

Mike.

The ProPIC2 is a parallel (LPTx) programmer, I see no serial option with that design. JDM is a serial port programmer.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
If you go in winpic800, you can choose from parallel, com and usb...

And strangely the propic2 schematic uses a serial port? Why if there is no option wiith ic-prog?

Last edited:
If you go in winpic800, you can choose from parallel, com and usb...

And strangely the propic2 schematic uses a serial port? Why if there is no option wiith ic-prog?

You still seem totally confused by the simplest points - the ProPic2 is a parallel port programmer, NOT a serial port programmer. As we've told you endlessly, it's nothing whatsoever to do with a DB9 serial port socket on your computer.

The IC-Prog software allows selection of either parallel port or serial port, it supports both, but as the ProPic2 is a parallel port programmer ONLY it may well disable that option, as it would be completely pointless.

You are right when you say i am confused...
Does it only uses parallel port because its the only one that can support it? So why can we choose from parallel, serial and usb port in winpic800?
A db9 can be parallel port? My father did'nt said me so, he said we where having a db9 serial and a db25 parallel on our computer ( and other various ports)

Anyway, to make my programmer, i only need to take the right pinout of winpic800 with propic2 and put put it in pgd, pgc , a transistor to make the 13 volts of vpp etc... on the pic? Cant i just configure winpic800 to send data in, out clock... on the port or i better use a already existing one (like propic2).
If i am wrong just tell me why, so i dont ask pointless questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back