Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic compiling/programming questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
PGM is the low voltage programming pin. It allows the PIC to be programmed without using 12V, but you lose the pin as an I/O.

Last edited:
So instead of using vpp at 12 volts, i put pgm at? I wont be able to use it as input/ouput pin after programming?why so?

Because until LVP is disabled in the configuration word PGM must be held at ground in order for the PIC to run. LVP can only be disabled from the high voltage programming mode.

Here is the link for 16F627A/16F628A/16F648A programming specifications:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/05/41196g.pdf

You can read all the details there.

Last edited:
So actually, i just need 4 wires (data in,out, programming voltage and clock)to the computer to program a pic. And ic-prog will send the right data trough the data wire and make the clock wire oscillate.
After looking at propicII i am convinced that its how it works, so now how can i configure ic-prog to put clock , vpp and data in,out where on the db9 serial port? Can i re-use the propicII configuration? So then i will have to usedo, d3, d5 and ACK.

Is data out (d0 in this case) is nescessary or a feature?(Because they dont talk of it in the prog datasheet, but it may be a needed thing for ic-prog).

Last edited:
Breadboardguy what programmer are you using? You can't just wire an RS232 cable to a PIC and program it with this software.

I (will) use a "lighter" version of propicII by only using the wires and circuitry that is need to program the 16f628a (Wich pins are shown in my last post) so it will be alot smaller but will program a limited range of pic. That is all what i was searching for.

So actually, i just need 4 wires (data in,out, programming voltage and clock)to the computer to program a pic. And ic-prog will send the right data trough the data wire and make the clock wire oscillate.
After looking at propicII i am convinced that its how it works, so now how can i configure ic-prog to put clock , vpp and data in,out where on the db9 serial port? Can i re-use the propicII configuration? So then i will have to usedo, d3, d5 and ACK.

Is data out (d0 in this case) is nescessary or a feature?(Because they dont talk of it in the prog datasheet, but it may be a needed thing for ic-prog).

Data out is the same pin on the PIC as data in, just program data. Its purpose is to verify correct programming, i.e. the programmer reads the program that has been entered and compares it with what was intended.

Also don't forget that the computer ground and the programmer ground must be connected together.

Okay, i think that i know all what i need, i will order my pics (16f628a) very soon.
Thank for your help, i gaved you some more reputation.

I think that there is an error in propic2 sechematic, its written 4k7 for a resistor.Is it 4.7 k?

Last edited:
Yes here a 18f1320 on one **broken link removed** Just bread board it make sure you get p-dip chips like 16f628a-I/P

Last edited:
High frequency (basically anything over about 10mhz) crystals can't usually be run on a breadboard, this isn't a problem if you use the internal oscilator, but if you intend to use crystals you'll need to keep it in mind.

Last edited:
High frequency (basically anything over about 10mhz) crystals can't usually be run on a breadboard, this isn't a problem if you use the internal oscilator, but if you intend to use crystals you'll need to keep it in mind.
Some PIC's include a PLL which can be used with an extrenal crystal (and sometimes the internal osc) to multiply by 4. With the PLL you can use a 10MHz crystal on the breadboard in conjunction with the PLL to get a 40MHz clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back