Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC christmas morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
youtube !

yeah check out youtube i know it sounds juvenile but there are a lot of great C/C++ tut.

I did look at some on youtube and I might just go back. Nothing is juvenile if your mind is in the right mode. Information is information. Weather your capable of reading design spec sheets or what ever your understanding may be. Twenty or so years ago you would have had just a book there are good books but.....

Back then you had to read it the way it was written (Extreme Nerd Code). Some of those books were so difficult it would take a rocket scientist to figure it out. It doesn't help when the book makes you feel as dump as a stump. So,we all start somewhere in any journey. All at our own speed but with the right help it can go much faster and be more pleasurable.

Back then I think those guys thought you knew something about programming. With the internet increasing in it's ability to reach people. Some of these things are getting easier to learn because real people are creating the examples. This is the reason why this site is so successful and has such great potential.

You have people willing to share and people who willing to learn at every level. Then you have the ones who can increase your ability's beyond reason if you have the

Great formula ! :D

I spent a little time reading about PERL and UNIX.

kv

Last edited:
Umm... You mean PERL? One of my favorite languages! Only trouble with it is that you can write code with it that nobody can read, not even yourself. :D

Thanks futz. With your help. Davidball13 will be better familiarized with all these Names & terminology's.

I hope to change that. I've been working most of the day on some of the C and have made lots of typos that have produce a big understanding of how to look for my own mistakes in the errors. :)

Excellent experience for me.:)

kv

Wow, the list I made and got for Christmas last year is pretty identical to that, save for being of the AVR flavor (ATMega644 & STK500, which comes with built in LEDS Switches and port headers). Dang, good times...was amazed how easy it was to program those darn things.

Last edited:
Wow, the list I made and got for Christmas last year is pretty identical to that, save for being of the AVR flavor (ATMega644 & STK500, which comes with built in LEDS Switches and port headers). Dang, good times...was amazed how easy it was to program those darn things.

yeah this is not much of a christmas list (i cant wait that long!). but yeah i got my breadboard last christmas and that when i started in electronics. not micro controllers.

The midrange 8-pin PICs are 12F629, 12F675, and 12F683. The 12F683 is the top of the line.

You need to get familiar with this link:

**broken link removed**

I left out a few. You can check them out for youyself. Caution some of the 12Fs are baseline chips and should be avoided (at least by beginners). The 12HV609 and 12HV615 are interesting because they have a builtin voltage regulators.

Last edited:
back........ ok so i am going to order tommarow morning. ill get the fast shipping. were can i get an IC extractor on newark. is it worth it. i use a pocket knife. i slip it under the IC and slowly move it up its worked great so far. i dont know about 40 pinc ICs though.

back........ ok so i am going to order tommarow morning. ill get the fast shipping. were can i get an IC extractor on newark. is it worth it. i use a pocket knife. i slip it under the IC and slowly move it up its worked great so far. i dont know about 40 pinc ICs though.
I use a flat-blade jeweller's screwdriver and gently slide it under one end till it's pulled. Sometimes there's not much room at the ends, so I pry at both ends alternately until it's out. 40-pinners are no problem. Same method.

Last edited:
I use a flat-blade jeweller's screwdriver and gently slide it under one end till it's pulled. Sometimes there's not much room at the ends, so I pry at both ends alternately until it's out. 40-pinners are no problem. Same method.

cool beans brah.
Do you guys know of any PICbasic books and use the 16F or 18F pics....

I used to have to load and un-load several processors a day. This was when I was working for a Company Testing what the Engineers had created they didn't always work so I flash em and they would start over.

I really didn't like the tool sometime on a tight socket it would twist bending the pins.

So, like futz I took a longer but small Cheap Screw Driver. With a weak alloy it will bend easier without breaking it. Then I went to a Vise and bent it slightly. This was to allow me to roll the Screw Driver rather than pushing and Twisting as I wedged it. I think it is gentler way of extracting.

But remember just as futz said. You work from both side very little at a time until it is free from both sides. If you don't. It tends to make an arc in the pins opposite the side you are wedging out

Good Luck.

kv

I used to have to load and un-load several processors a day. This was when I was working for a Company Testing what the Engineers had created they didn't always work so I flash em and they would start over.

I really didn't like the tool sometime on a tight socket it would twist bending the pins.

So, like futz I took a longer but small Cheap Screw Driver. With a weak alloy it will bend easier without breaking it. Then I went to a Vise and bent it slightly. This was to allow me to roll the Screw Driver rather than pushing and Twisting as I wedged it. I think it is gentler way of extracting.

But remember just as futz said. You work from both side very little at a time until it is free from both sides. If you don't. It tends to make an arc in the pins opposite the side you are wedging out

Good Luck.

kv

yeah thats what i did with an old old pocket knife. i bent the end a little bit and it works great. what about a book?

yeah thats what i did with an old old pocket knife. i bent the end a little bit and it works great. what about a book?

That one is for the guru's I'm just like you on this end of things. I didn't have that sort of relationship with the Engineers who had to keep everything secret.

The Owner was a freak about letting any info on that side of things get out. Plus I would have had to go back to School to get the time to learn this stuff.

My advise is spend your time wisely and have fun as you go be diligent. The time will go faster and faster as you get to College.

kv

That one is for the guru's I'm just like you on this end of things. I didn't have that sort of relationship with the Engineers who had to keep everything secret.

The Owner was a freak about letting any info on that side of things get out. Plus I would have had to go back to School to get the time to learn this stuff.

My advise is spend your time wisely and have fun as you go be diligent. The time will go faster and faster as you get to College.

kv

Collage??? i have 4 years till then! and now i am stuck with taking digital electronics next year and i could tech that class right now. i bet i could teach the teacher about it. my school's tech teachers arnt the brightest light bulbs(i compare them to a 2ma LED). i had to teach my CAD teacher how to format a thumbdrive.

Collage??? i have 4 years till then! and now i am stuck with taking digital electronics next year and i could tech that class right now. i bet i could teach the teacher about it. my school's tech teachers arnt the brightest light bulbs(i compare them to a 2ma LED). i had to teach my CAD teacher how to format a thumbdrive.

Perhaps you should arrange extra lessons with your English teacher?, it's a pretty feeble effort :D

ha.....ha..... at least i am not as bad as some of the other people one the interweb. i can barely understand them.

Well you'll never be taken seriously if you can't maintain at least a minimum standard of decent English - as it stands you appear to be about 8 or 9 years old (and doing poorly in English).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back