Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC christmas morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello because of gramo's new site i really want to get into pic micro controllers. and now that i am PASSING 9th GRADE MATH!!!! :D :D :D . i know its crazy. i have compiled a shopping cart on Newark. this is what i have so far. please tell me if there is any more ideals i should get to get started in the crazy awesome world of PIC's.
shopping cart.

PICkit 2 Microcontroller Programmer
PIC18F452-I/P 8-Bit Microcontroller IC
LCM-S01602DSR/A LCD Dot Matrix Character Module
Ceramic Disc Capacitor; Capacitance:22pF
Crystal; Frequency:8MHz
PIC18F1320-I/P 8-Bit Microcontroller IC

i have a breadboad (actually i have 4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiYq0v9IeVM

If there is anything else i should please hit me up. i am waiting for my mom to fork over her credit card

Switch the 18F452 to something with a built in OSC like the 18F4620. You won't need the crystal unless you're building something that needs better than 1% clock accuracy.

The only reason i choose that PIC is because of the info frim gramo's site and it had all of the examples from it. i dont need to be accurate.

Then get the 18F4620, the 18F1320 is a favorite too both have 8MHz internal osc, I use it on the Junebug. Skip the crystal for now.
Also make sure you've got Swordfish BASIC the free SE version is all you need to get started.

Keep up the good work !

David, this old man (kv)<-... just did his first hello world today in c. :)

I'm doing it because of the unix stuff at work I need to become familiar with it. Most of the programs we will be using will have some connections off it.

Good luck, I probably will be getting that setup soon. I just want to get some more of the c/c++ under my belt.

kv:D

Last edited:
PICkit 2 Microcontroller Programmer
Recommend you also get some 2-row header, 1-row header, a bunch (maybe 10 or so?) of 2x5 IDC female connectors and a bunch of shrouded 2x5 IDC male connectors for making programming cables and breadboard adapters. You'll also need some ribbon cable. For that, rip up an old floppy cable or old style 40-conductor IDE cable.

PIC18F452-I/P 8-Bit Microcontroller IC
Definitely scratch the obsolete 18F452. Get its replacement instead - the updated 18F4520. Same pinout. 18F452 code should mostly work, though there are some minor differences. Here's the 452-to-4520 migration document. Pay attention to the differences listed there to be sure you make any code changes necessary for 18F4520.

I'm doing it because of the unix stuff at work I need to become familiar with it. Most of the programs we will be using will have some connections off it.

Good luck, I probably will be getting that setup soon. I just want to get some more of the c/c++ under my belt.

yeah i actually ditched ubuntu for a few weeks untill 8.10 comes out soon then ill dual boot. i really like DevC++ in windows though. programing is fun. soon you will be about to do a full on calculator

Recommend you also get some 2-row header, 1-row header, a bunch (maybe 10 or so?) of 2x5 IDC female connectors and a bunch of shrouded 2x5 IDC male connectors for making programming cables and breadboard adapters. You'll also need some ribbon cable. For that, rip up an old floppy cable or old style 40-conductor IDE cable.

Definitely scratch the obsolete 18F452. Get its replacement instead - the updated 18F4520. Same pinout. 18F452 code should mostly work, though there are some minor differences. Here's the 452-to-4520 migration document. Pay attention to the differences listed there to be sure you make any code changes necessary for 18F4520.

yeah ill hit up the 18F4520.

any other words of advice. i dont think i am going to get the headers. i have the stright header leads from an old video card and i am sure i can do a lot with a old IDE cable.

What compiler did you use. and what text editer. i use/used NANO. just type nano in the terminal. and i used the g++ compiler. what distro are you using. you said unix so you could even be using mac os.

Having the µC is great but it's more fun if you can do interesting things like flashing LEDs and such.

I would get

• LEDs
  • NPN & PNP transistors
  • switches (SBB mountable)
  • ceramic capacitors (.1 µF, .01µF to start with)
  • a couple of linear regulators (7805s) for a power supply
  • electrolytic caps - 100 uF, maybe 470 uF, 12V or greater for you power supply
  • a 9V or higher wall wart (couple of $$ from a thrift store)
If you can get your parents to pay for an order from some place like electronic goldmine, all electronics or bg micro you can really stretch your $$s. The surplus places are a great way to find bargains though you have to be careful. Plus, it's a lot of fun to peruse through their online catalogs.

Check out mouser.com - they have pretty good prices on PICs.

By the way, real programmers use Vi or Emacs... :)

Last edited:
What compiler did you use. and what text editer. i use/used NANO. just type nano in the terminal. and i used the g++ compiler. what distro are you using. you said unix so you could even be using mac os.

I haven't even came close to what your thinking. I'm still on baby steps right now. Just using notepad. (Caveman style) I'm cracking some rocks to see what happens.

The Compiler is GJGPP. I found it off the Howstuffworks website. However, now that you mention it. I see the connection between the Unix stuff and the Mac. Thanks for the Tip.

We have Mac Servers and that makes sense.

I know I'm simplistic but I do what is free. Just like your idea on the video card. Carnivores seem to find what they need to survive.

Good job on the intuition and continue making use of available assets.

kv

Having the µC is great but it's more fun if you can do interesting things like flashing LEDs and such.

I would get

• LEDs
  • NPN & PNP transistors
  • switches (SBB mountable)
  • ceramic capacitors (.1 µF, .01µF to start with)
  • a couple of linear regulators (7805s) for a power supply
  • electrolytic caps - 100 uF, maybe 470 uF, 12V or greater for you power supply
  • a 9V or higher wall wart (couple of $$ from a thrift store)
If you can get your parents to pay for an order from some place like electronic goldmine, all electronics or bg micro you can really stretch your $$s. The surplus places are a great way to find bargains though you have to be careful. Plus, it's a lot of fun to peruse through their online catalogs.

Check out mouser.com - they have pretty good prices on PICs.

By the way, real programmers use Vi or Emacs... :)

i have like all of the things you have mentioned. actually i bought a regulated adjustable power supply from a local electronics store called trojan electronics. power options are 3 volts 4 volts 5 volts and 6 volts and 9 volts and 12 volts. its 2 amps. emacs and nano are about the same. iv used both. from what iv seem mouser and newark have about the same prices some are from 2 to 10 cents difference.

I haven't even came close to what your thinking. I'm still on baby steps right now. Just using notepad. (Caveman style) I'm cracking some rocks to see what happens.

The Compiler is GJGPP. I found it off the Howstuffworks website. However, now that you mention it. I see the connection between the Unix stuff and the Mac. Thanks for the Tip.

We have Mac Servers and that makes sense.

I know I'm simplistic but I do what is free. Just like your idea on the video card. Carnivores seem to find what they need to survive.

Good job on the intuition and continue making use of available assets.

kv

yeah check out youtube i know it sounds juvenile but there are a lot of great C/C++ tut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back