Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Basic Or C Compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
ArtemisGoldfish said:
I meeean...In general, BASIC was not a fun experience, not that there was any choice...

Ever thought it might be now?

Also, BASIC is BASIC on a PC, on a PIC (micro without all the extras, display. printer, etc.) it is a high level coding system. You still have to set registers and bits/flags. Or your code will not run. Ever do ANSSEL on the TRS-80 M100? CMCON=7?

BASIC on a uC is not BASIC on a DOS PC or Windows PC. Or Radio Shack old PC.

It is a high level programming language, that simple (like C). You can not call it BASIC and expect PRINT "HELLO WORLD" to work. Not with a stock PIC chip. And printf in C will not either (but it will on an IBM PC).

If you want to do something fast (and are not familer with the C syntax) BASIC is the way to go. If you want to really learn, assembler is the way to go.

If you know both BASIC and assembler (for me) it is MikroBASIC and MPLABS. Depends on the project I am doing.

Because I like BASIC it does not mean I do not use assembler. Just smart when I am using/need assembler and I do not.

philba said:
Uh, funny, I sure don't recall saying that. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would never say that. I don't even think that.
DonQ"

My mistake. Someone said if it is a real project use assembler. I was all over the forums and thought it was you. Again, my mistake. It was not an insult by any means.

It is not totally true I guess. But if I have a real project that involved interrupts and good timing, I do use assembler. To play on weekends and make toys for the kids I use BASIC and it works well.

I did a TENS unit for a friend with MikroBASIC and the timing was fine on the scope, but it was very slow timing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back