Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic 18F2420 A2D V ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Best wishes to everyone.

I’ve built a little circuit with an LM35 temperature sensing I.C. The LM35 has a linear output = 10mV/Deg C

When I first built the circuit I used a 1.023V reference for my 18F2420 so every mV increase from the LM35 would increase the A/D conversion result by 1. This could give me 0.1 Deg C resolution for my LCD display. It appeared to work ok apart from the gltiches caused by not having a proper averaging routine although I was going to attend to that later. Anyway, reading another thread on this board I saw somebody point out that the minimum Vref should be 3V but , I think it was Futz, said he used 2.55 successfully so I’ve done that, but tweaked to give 2.56V. But it messed up my conversion resolution.

With 2.56 Vref I can only get 2.5mV resolution – 2.56/1024 = 0.0025v and I can’t properly display any conversions that are not a multiple of 0.0025 because they result in a fractional part.

Any suggestions as to how I can achieve 0.1 Deg resolution using a 2.56V reference and 10 bit conversion?

Hope what I’ve written makes sense!

Thanks in advance for any help.

**broken link removed**

Hmm...well I think what I meant was not getting 0.1 deg resolution but being able to convert / display a result that has a fractional part.

Hmm...well I think what I meant was not getting 0.1 deg resolution but being able to convert / display a result that has a fractional part.

hi AB,
What is the tempr range that you need to measure.?:)

Hello Eric,

The LM35 has a temperature range of 0 to 100 Deg C so I would like my circuit to be able to measure that range even if I cannot actually apply a temperature that high. Maybe you're thinking that I should accept a lower temperarture span and get the resolution that way? I might have to do that although it seems like a bit of a kop out.

Hello Eric,

The LM35 has a temperature range of 0 to 100 Deg C so I would like my circuit to be able to measure that range even if I cannot actually apply a temperature that high. Maybe you're thinking that I should accept a lower temperarture span and get the resolution that way? I might have to do that although it seems like a bit of a kop out.

hi AB,
The point to remember about the LM35 is its accuracy its only about +/-0.5Cdeg, so there isnnt much point in resolving to 0.01Cdeg.

If you used a Vref ic to give 2.5Vref, then 100Cdeg the output from the LM35 would be +1V, which is [1/2.56) *1023 =400 counts, which is equal to 0.25C resolution.

If you multiplied the 400 by say 10, to give 4000 and then divided by 4 [ 2 right shifts] you would have 100.0C.

Another way is to amplify the output voltage of the LM35 , say to 5V for 100 degrees, giving 1000 counts = 100.0C.[ 0.25]

Hope you follow this.:)

Last edited:
I've always found it easier to use a digital temperature sensor, such as an LM74.

The accuracy is no better, but you don't get any additional errors from A/D conversion or voltage errors.

Hello Diver,

Thx for the suggestion. I've been perusing the RS catalogue and there are quite a few interesting temp' sensing chips there, many using two wire serial connections. Had a quick look at the LM74 data sheet. Something I might try playing with when I finish this little project.

I managed to resolve my 'resolution' / 'fraction' problem by simply amplifying the LM35 o/p by 2.5 (thanks for the suggestion Eric) - so obviously the way to go but I'm such a doofus I never see the obvoius solutions.

There is still a bit of a problem with the displayed temperature glitching a little but my crappy plugblock setup may have something to do with that. Maybe I need to work out a little software 'damping' or averaging routine.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Thanks for your help.

hi,
Nice looking LCD display layout.:)
With the LT1014 you dont really need the -5V dual supply in order to get close to 0V out.

You could add some Res/Cap signal filters to the LT1014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back