Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phono - Usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_h

Can any one tell me how to make a Phono - USB cable for my new iMac?

explain?

I want to record old records on my imac, but my imac doesn't have an audio in or the space for pci cards, so i was wondering whther or not i could make my own cable for audio input to my computer through usb

Get a PC mate - miles better! :D
Even if you had a PC though it wouldn't be as simple as just plugging in... Because of the nature of records and the pickups, you need a special amp called an RIAA equalosation amp, which you would find in a stereo with a 'phono' input, the best option would then be to connect your stereo to the PC's line input.
I am not sure if you can get audio device for USB surely apple have somehow catered for audio input haven't they? Seriously, get a PC nect time!

You're kidding yourself about PCs being better, Macs are way better then PCs as they do what I want them to do, and plus I've been using macs since i was 7 years old.

Thanks, great thinking.

You will not get very good sound from that like I said you need an amp with RIAA equalisation. But if you wish to try I guess it will only harm your wallet! (and the headset!)
Shorley there has to be a usb sound capture / recorder device isn't there?

P.S. I didn't mean to upset you it was a bit of a joke really. I accept that Macs appeal in areas PC's don't and they are rock stable, but the fact that they arn't upgradeable and there isn't the choice of software etc. really gets to me.

USB is a serial type connection, and wirks with DIGITAL signals. you would need to make an interface of sorts, and it would be reasonably cheaper/ easier to find an exsisting device, such as a USB sound card of sords with a brekout box that has audio in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back