Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phone Ringing Causes ADSL DIsconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have filters. But no phones connected to the line means no filters to use.

We call it Splitter in India. I has line input. and Data and Phone outputs.
For Disconnections, issues,
1. you may check whether you have any joints (may be dry joints ) on your phone service wire(underground cable in most countries)within-in your home.
2. You may remove any parallel phone like cordless, in various rooms, especially those that are re wired before the splitter.
3. try to have any additional phone instrument , ONLY after the splitter.

Finally as Nigel suggested replace the splitter as Nigel suggested, as at times, blocking capacitors in the Data side of the splitter might go faulty .

One thing I did when having ADSL problems was disconnecting the entire house at the demarcation point and connecting the ADSL modem there instead. Having a long network cable came in handy, but you could also hang outside with a laptop for a quick test. If this also fails, then the problem is with the modem or the phone line, both of which are your Telco's problem.

Last edited:
Wait, splitters and filters? Is there another ADSL configuration I don't know about? For mine, I can plug my computer into any phone jack in the house and get internet (they all have internet). Every phone that is plugged in needs it's own filter to not interfere.

Now some people are talking about splitters? There are only one of these where the telephone line enters the house? ANd only one phone jack (or certain phone jacks) have ADSL on it?

Last edited:
Wait, splitters and filters? Is there another ADSL configuration I don't know about? For mine, I can plug my computer into any phone jack in the house and get internet (they all have internet). Every phone that is plugged in needs it's own filter to not interfere.

Now some people are talking about splitters? There are only one of these where the telephone line enters the house? ANd only one phone jack (or certain phone jacks) have ADSL on it?

I think they mean a standard 1>2 RJ-11 connector. Just a way to be able to hook up a DSL modem and a telephone in the same room if there is only one RJ-11 wall plug. The 1 male end plugs into the wall telephone connector. One of the two female can wire directly to a DSL modem. The other female connector has to hook to the input of a inline DSL filter and then the end phone type device can plug into the DSL filter output.

I've seen special 2 port RJ-11 wall mount outlet receptical that have one port marked DSL and the other marker telephone, and the telephone port has the DSL filter installed internally. Good idea, saves some wiring mess. But I don't remember where I saw them.

So you still getting knocked off line?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm still getting knocked off. Not much I can do when removing everything else from the lines but the PC still doesn't work. I called TElus and they're checking around on their end.

Yeah, I'm still getting knocked off. Not much I can do when removing everything else from the lines but the PC still doesn't work. I called TElus and they're checking around on their end.

Good luck. Dealing with DSL service can be quite the pain. I'm pretty sure your problem will be in your modem but it may take them days to figure that out from your symptoms and actually send someone out with a new one.

Five years ago when I first signed up it took them over 2 weeks to get mine working right. Turned out that a brand new model of modem they were starting to use (they tried 3 of new ones here) wouldn't work right. I could log in and surf the web fine but if I tried to download a file of more then around 1 meg in size it would slow to a crawl, take 5 mins to download a 1 meg file. They did tons of stuff including removing all spur lines on my phone line between me and the central office. Finally they tried an older model modem and I haven't had a line or modem problem sense. I've upgraded service speed a couple of time and I'm maxed out at around 5mbs so I'm pretty happy with that. Cable modem (Comcast) is a bit faster, 6mps, but quite a bit more expensive here.

My main complaint with ATT DSL service is when you have to call them with a problem. All service calls get routed first to level one support in India and I've never had them solve a single thing except maybe a simple password reset once. It can take hours to get the level one support people to give up and pass you one to level two support. At level 2 I've always found them to be competent and quick to resolve any problems, plus they speak and understand English a lot better :rolleyes: Oh well lots of industries are using off-shore phone support these days, it's all part of the global economy I guess.

I've seen special 2 port RJ-11 wall mount outlet receptical that have one port marked DSL and the other marker telephone, and the telephone port has the DSL filter installed internally. Good idea, saves some wiring mess. But I don't remember where I saw them.
Yea this special one we have in India. Its a DSL/phone inbuilt filter and splitter(confused? Take the words on their meaning). DSL goes to modem and Phone goes to phone directly. We don't use any external filters.

In any case, y can't u connect your modem directly into the incoming line without any splitter/filter have net access and give it a ring and check??
Go outside and hang on the line using modem,cellphone and a laptop.

Attachments

• mt880.1.jpg
    mt880.1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 494
I have, I've tried calling my house on my cellphone when nothing else is connected to any phone jack in the house except for the PC (I wonder how many times I've said this? I know most people don't always bother to read all the responses, but I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in the opening post.)

Either way, waiting for the tech to come.

well...the same problem i suffered but now its fine my line attenuation was above 45 so i disconnected some unused extensions permanently to overcome the noise of my phone....then i replace any old cords connected to phone with new ones...other thing i noticed tht my cordless phone creates noise so i use dsl filter and connect my cordless phone through filter...then i installed a fan for my modem to make it cool bcoz running it for above 12 hours makes it very hot.....in short i think that the number of extensions from line effects the performance doesnt matter if u disconnected all phone this thing become more worse when u are using concealed wiring coz its life is approx 8 yrs then u have to change all concealed wiring...try connecting ur pc directly to main phone line

Unused extension? So you shortented the wire between your PC and the wall? Or are you talking about just unused phone jacks in your house that you permanently disconnected?

EDIT:Reread your post and it seems you are actually talking about removing the wire from unused lines in the house.

Last edited:
Unused extension? So you shortented the wire between your PC and the wall? Or are you talking about just unused phone jacks in your house that you permanently disconnected?

EDIT:Reread your post and it seems you are actually talking about removing the wire from unused lines in the house.

Well I'll change out all my concealed phone wiring every eight years if first the phone company does the same to all their outside wiring ;) Eight year wire life?, where do people get these myths from?;)

Lefty

Well I've had DSL service for 5 years or so and I had to install the modem and all the filters (they gave me 5 in the self-install package). The instructions were quite clear on where and how to install the filters and a filter must not be installed between the modem and the phone line, their instructions and drawings were quite clear on this. I'm using ATT DSL service so I can't speak of other possible DSL systems. The fact that a DSL filter attenuates DSL signal frequencies says that it's not logical that it could be placed in front of a DSL modem, how would the modem then be able to send and receive DSL frequencies?

Don't know what you use over there?, but here ADSL filters have one input, and two separate outputs (using different sockets) - one ouput is low-pass filtered, and feeds the phone, the other is high-pass filtered and feeds the ADSL.

Each phone in the house has a filter feeding it, fltering the HF ADSL signal out, and the ADSL modem has one feeding it, filtering out the LF audio and ringing tone.

An alternative is to have just ONE filter, directly where the phoneline comes in, and fed all the phones in the house off the phone output of that single filter, and the modem off the ADSL output from it.

I use a combination of both - the incoming line is split two ways - one way goes to an ADSL filter and feeds all the telephone sockets in the house, the ADSL output is unused. The other output of the splitter feeds directly to my attic (where I am now), and where another ADSL filter is used, to feed both the modem and a phone next to it, just because the phone output was there, and it saves me walking across the room to where the normal phone socket is :D

So I've got just two filters, for six phones and one modem.

Don't know what you use over there?, but here ADSL filters have one input, and two separate outputs (using different sockets) - one ouput is low-pass filtered, and feeds the phone, the other is high-pass filtered and feeds the ADSL.

Each phone in the house has a filter feeding it, fltering the HF ADSL signal out, and the ADSL modem has one feeding it, filtering out the LF audio and ringing tone.

An alternative is to have just ONE filter, directly where the phoneline comes in, and fed all the phones in the house off the phone output of that single filter, and the modem off the ADSL output from it.

I use a combination of both - the incoming line is split two ways - one way goes to an ADSL filter and feeds all the telephone sockets in the house, the ADSL output is unused. The other output of the splitter feeds directly to my attic (where I am now), and where another ADSL filter is used, to feed both the modem and a phone next to it, just because the phone output was there, and it saves me walking across the room to where the normal phone socket is :D

So I've got just two filters, for six phones and one modem.

Yes, that is different then here. They give us simple external DSL filters (they gave me five with my kit) here that have a small pigtail RJ-11 male connector for the input of the filter that plugs into the wall. The output of the filter is a female RJ-11 that you plug your phone into. A DSL modem must plug into a wall plug prior to any filter via a 2 to 1 splitter.

yes im talking about disconnecting the phone jacks from main line.....well if the problem cannot be solved from ur technician i will refer u to connect ur modem directly to main line ,not from any jacks or extensions concealed in wall ....coz as far as i can understand ur problem it seems tht the signal got weaken when someone calls its may be due to noise caused by resistance of wire..or u may be bcoz of ur modem problem....

Well I'll change out all my concealed phone wiring every eight years if first the phone company does the same to all their outside wiring ;) Eight year wire life?, where do people get these myths from?;)

Lefty

well there is a lot difference btw wire used in main line and concealed wiring...im saying this bcoz it happens with me ....im living in house with 4 floors and 13 rooms and in every room there is a jack or extension of phone line...after approx 7 or 8 years i started hearing humming and strange sound in my phone,so i connected it directly to main line it was working fine .... and i also start hearing the sound of my telephone in intercom when someones having a call.....and the reason i understand tht the signals of intercom and telephone creating noise .... i think u know the noise theory.....the wire we used in concealed wiring have pairs in it 2 for telephone others for intercom didnt remember exact number of pairs..sorry for my bad English,if have done any mistakes.

well there is a lot difference btw wire used in main line and concealed wiring...im saying this bcoz it happens with me ....im living in house with 4 floors and 13 rooms and in every room there is a jack or extension of phone line...after approx 7 or 8 years i started hearing humming and strange sound in my phone,so i connected it directly to main line it was working fine .... and i also start hearing the sound of my telephone in intercom when someones having a call.....and the reason i understand tht the signals of intercom and telephone creating noise .... i think u know the noise theory.....the wire we used in concealed wiring have pairs in it 2 for telephone others for intercom didnt remember exact number of pairs..sorry for my bad English,if have done any mistakes.

Your english is good enough. I've been an industrial electrician for about 30 years and I agree with your assessment about the wires. Heat, moisture, and corrosive gases from treated building materials can indeed destroy the insulation. When the electrical properties of insulation are altered then the overall electrical properties of the whole cable assembly are altered usually for the worse. The cabling may continue to function for considerably longer time but at a reduced performance.

As for the thread topic I'm still betting the modem has a failed component, or circuit bridging contamination inside the modem leaving it vulnerable to the ringer signal.

It's real simple: THROW OUT THOSE CRAPPY DSL FILTER DONGLES!!
Then:

#1. buy a DSL/POTS Splitter that mounts next to the demarcation point outside your home
a) SECOR is a very good brand and provides surge protection as well
**broken link removed**

#2. purchase a length of CAT5 or CAT6 cable to run from the DSL/POTS splitter to your modem location. Connect that end to the DATA terminals of the splitter.

#3. main phone line to your home (output of demarc box) connects to LINE terminals of splitter.

#4. connect the phone line that actually enters through the wall of the home to the VOICE or PHONE terminals.

Now all phone lines in your home are completely isolated from DSL data. Your downstream/upstream speeds will improve significantly and no phone jack filters, dongle, thingies are necessary-- throw them away or give them to an enemy to use.

#6. Go to Speedguide.net and run three bandwidth speed tests at the same server location noting the avg. results. Now d/l the TCP/IP tweak utility from there or from DSL Reports.com. After installing it, run it in the AUTOMATIC OPTIMIZE mode. Go to Speedguide.net again and using the same server location, run three more tests and note the avg. Check for any improvements.

I started out with a measely 600K d/stream and after doing the above steps, ended up with 2.1M d/stream!!!!

Remember that if you happen to have auto-dialer devices like from security systems or utility meters, etc. they will pull down your DSL seriously... hence the reason to eliminate DSL from traveling over any phone line in your home. This is the correct way to enjoy DSL.

He's probably busy putting my advice to work. If not, he'll be reporting back with further issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back