Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

phillips oscilloscope help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwhitee

I have an phillips pm3365A oscilloscope. Its my first scope and I dont know how to use it. I need to figure out quickly if it is working properly. I only have a couple of days left to send it back if not. Any simple tests I can do to see if it works. When I connect the probe to a 9 volt battery it doesnt read out 9 volts on the lcd panel like I thought it would.

Set the scope up for single-channel operation, e.g., Channel 1. For channel 1, make sure you have the scope input DC coupled, the variable volts/div in the "calibrated" detent and the attenuator set for 2V/DIV. Position the trace to the bottom horizontal graticule line. The timebase should be set for about 1ms/DIV with the sweep control set for "automatic" so you have a bright trace without any input signal. Using a X1 probe or simple test leads, connnect the Channel 1 BNC to the battery, positive to the center contact. The trace should deflect upward about 4.5 major divisions.

Connecting this channel to the calibrator output should provide a square wave.

Dean

It jumped up 2.5 squares with a 9 volt battery that actually reads 8 volts with my meter.

On the calibration port you mean to connect the probe to the metal terminal that says cal 1.2 volt and has the picture of a square wave? If so it definetely makes a square wave about half a square high.

I think I see now. I am supposed to use the cal 1.2 terminal to adjust the screen so that it jumps up 1.2. Thats what I did and now I go back to my 9 volt battery which is really 8 volts and it jumps up 3.5 divisions with volts/division set at 2. I hope thats correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back