phillips oscilloscope help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwhitee

I have an phillips pm3365A oscilloscope. Its my first scope and I dont know how to use it. I need to figure out quickly if it is working properly. I only have a couple of days left to send it back if not. Any simple tests I can do to see if it works. When I connect the probe to a 9 volt battery it doesnt read out 9 volts on the lcd panel like I thought it would.

Set the scope up for single-channel operation, e.g., Channel 1. For channel 1, make sure you have the scope input DC coupled, the variable volts/div in the "calibrated" detent and the attenuator set for 2V/DIV. Position the trace to the bottom horizontal graticule line. The timebase should be set for about 1ms/DIV with the sweep control set for "automatic" so you have a bright trace without any input signal. Using a X1 probe or simple test leads, connnect the Channel 1 BNC to the battery, positive to the center contact. The trace should deflect upward about 4.5 major divisions.

Connecting this channel to the calibrator output should provide a square wave.

Dean

It jumped up 2.5 squares with a 9 volt battery that actually reads 8 volts with my meter.

On the calibration port you mean to connect the probe to the metal terminal that says cal 1.2 volt and has the picture of a square wave? If so it definetely makes a square wave about half a square high.

I think I see now. I am supposed to use the cal 1.2 terminal to adjust the screen so that it jumps up 1.2. Thats what I did and now I go back to my 9 volt battery which is really 8 volts and it jumps up 3.5 divisions with volts/division set at 2. I hope thats correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…