Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Philips DVD Bad Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumpsterdiver

Just joined this group and this is my first post.
The dumpster gods rewarded me with a Philips Model 1120/37 DVD player. I opened it up and it was full of dead bugs and bug parts. After a good cleaning up and out it would play a DVD. It used a non standard cable for output connections so I jury rigged shielded cables with gator leads for testing. This was touchy and I found a red,white,yellow jack pack to install for use. Now any DVD is said to be a "Bad Disk". It plays CDs and even MP3's burned to a CD-R. Which seems to clear the optics of thr trouble. What would be causing the trouble?

Last edited:
Right now I'd be concerned about introducing bug eggs and their hatchlings into your residence. Roaches and similar bugs love the heat emenating from electronics. You better hope you didn't dump out roach eggs. You have to be extra cautious when bringing home discarded electronics--- I've done that before but I leave it outdoors for spell and then remove the cover(s) and then clean/spray as needed.

I never thought about eggs in the gear, thanks for the info. When I find an item in the dumpster the first thing I do is clean it up inside and out. That lets me do an inspection and create a basic doc Package. It amounts to a kind of detailing the item and often winds up looking like nearly new with a little wear. I think electronic/electric devices must have a kind of spirit or something and appreciate the cleanup and a chance at a new life. I've had a pretty good success rate but there are some that are too far gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back