Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase Dimmer Control using Triac

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinesh4761

Hello Sir/Madam,

I am engineering student making phase dimmer control using triac

The schematic is as attached

What I have observed that many times attached circuit stop working due to failure of triac
I am not sure is it because of di/dt or dv/dt failure. In order to avoid this I have used triac of much higher rating (10A) even though current needed can be as low as 1A.
However the problem continues.

I have observed that the failure is for transformer powered halogen lamp (inductive load?) and for ceiling fans.
It works satisfactorily for incandescent lamps.

Also I am sharing one more observation that if I connect glass tube fuse link in series with the load then the fuse blows.
From the various information available I realized that I need to use choke / inductor to overcome this problem. Is that right?
I need help to

1. To find out the value of the inductor for 0.5A, 1A and 2A

2. Is this a special type of inductor? if yes wish to know make

Thank you in advance

Dinesh

Attachments

• Phase_Dimmer_Schematic.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Phase_Dimmer_Schematic.png
    Phase_Dimmer_Schematic.png
    47 KB · Views: 179
A light dimmer like that, which switches power on part way through each half cycle, can only work well with a direct filament lamp load.

To dim any other type of lamp, a different circuit has to be used where the power is on from the zero crossing of the AC supply and turned off at some point through each half cycle.

eg. A basic triac dimmer gives an output waveform like this:

To control the type of thing you are trying to drive, the waveform must be like this:
**broken link removed**

That presumably needs something like a GTO thyristor or IGBT to enable switching off under load in each half cycle?

Edit - this article gives an example of a dimmer circuit of that type, with "trailing edge" switching:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back