Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

penetration of em spectrum's

Status
Not open for further replies.
x rays are left to visible light and radio waves are right.Both can penetrate but why visible rays cant.what property of waves effect the penetration power(is it like wave length frequency like that).answer me basically plzzz

Very simple story.

I am sitting in church (on Wednesday) watching a window repairman work in the windows.
There is no glass in the window. Much light is coming in.
He puts in a clear window glass.
All the visible light comes in but some of the inferred light is blocked (and some UV light is blocked). The class is dark to some kinds of light.
Then he puts in a cut glass picture of Moses. There is red glass, and green and blue and yellow.
Is some areas only red light comes in. All others are blocked. In some areas green light comes in.
Each type if grass is made to pass (and block) different types of light.

When I was working with a IR laser I needed a "window" but window glass is black to that type of light. I used a salt crystal as a window because it passed my type of IR light and blocks visible light. By looking at salt you would never guess that it is clear to some types of light and dark to others.

The colored glass has chemicals (some times metals) mixed in. Each element has different properties. They react different with different light.

Last edited:
Hi,
Light can either penetrate into or reflect off of a surface. That which penetrates can either pass through (transparency) or become absorbed (opacity). These phenomena depend on the interaction of the light photon and the electrons of the material involved - just as Ron said.
These web pages may help you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index
Take a look at the following sections: Complex index of refraction & absorption, Dispersion, Dielectric Constant.
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_spectroscopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back